How could i rig a mouth like this to get the most out of expressions

How could i rig this mouth to freely make a lot of different shapes with it, as seen in the Clint Eastwood music video from Gorillaz, id like the type of control you’d get from an actual bezier curve, if anyone has a similar rig or resource i could look at for this id appreciate it :smiley:

My current model without rigging

Haha don’t expect a simple answer :slight_smile:

You can look at the blender studio project Settlers , that looks quite similar :

I think basically they actually rigged a curve that is shrink-wrapped to the face.

That way you have a lot of flexibility but you need to do some hack because there isn’t any hole in the face.

It’s an experiment for the inside of the mouth :

there isn’t any hole, both are rigged the same way, but there is a shader trick that fake depth, it’s the same principle than these :

One the overall, that approach makes the lips relatively easy to rig, but everything else is getting more complicated…

The other option, is to have a real hole, and a face topology that would allows for a lot of compression and expansion.

Looking at how blender studio did on sprite fright is probably interesting too since their character’s face where quite flexible. You can start to look at their production log talk they did at blender conference.

That approach makes everything a bit tedious, having the lips really tied to the face’s hole is tricky too, but it’s probably more robust, since hacks tends to break.
Probably the first step would be to create a Bbone chain to control the lips…
And try to synchronize the lips with the face hole.

There are probably other approach, I can’t help you more right away …

Hopes that helps getting started, maybe try a few things first and then we can discuss that more precisely based on your findings…

Have fun !

2 Likes

Thanks for the response, I’ll take a look at these!, bendy ones seem to be the best option for now though :smile:

Cool ! Best is to start doing a lot of simple tests first !
“Writing is re-writing” as they say , probably “rigging is re-rigging” is a good mantra too !

1 Like

for reference, the music video OP is referring to.

If you can’t find a nice techy solution, and you have to get the project out, you could always make all the mouth shapes you need by hand, and animate them on and off. huge pain in the butt, but I’ve done it before.

2 Likes

Do a search for animation phonemes.
You need about 6-8 shapes to cover all the mouth movements when you have a cartoon character.

Ended up using the Settlers method, bunch of curves and hooks!, for the mouth hole i had to use geometry nodes trickery so it went through, but works really well !, ended up using the same setup for the eyes also, its perfect https://streamable.com/htd4gt

2 Likes

Well done ! It works really well !

Do you used an addon to rig the curves , or it’s fully manual ?

Anyway, great stuff ! Hope to see that guy animated someday ! that project looks super cool !

Manual, its just a few curve circles anyways, easy to adjust :smiley:

1 Like