How do I make the bowsprit of a ship in Blender?

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3ds-max-galleon-realistic-prop/877429

I am modelling an old ship and making the bowsprit of the ship as shown in the above picture, drives me crazy. I am giving up, unless somebody can give me some clue on how to model this in blender.

Please, please please answer my question!

It’s not clear what you mean by the tip of the ship. Do you mean the bowsprit, the forecastle/head, or something else? Also what specifically is the problem you’re having with modeling this part?

I must admit I’m a bit confused about what you mean by “tip” as well…

What have you got so far?

Sorry for my poor english, I meant the bowsprit. Or rather, the part where the bowsprit is, you know where the end of the ship is (front part, not the forecastle). I don’t know its propper name. It is not the cylinder-shaped part which the sails are attached to, rather it is very end-part of the ship forming somewhat a triangular shape.

However, it is going to be part of the hull at the same time, and this drives me crazy in figuring out how to do it.

EDIT: Just looked it up, seems it is named “prow” though I am not sure.

What have you got so far?

You could look into how things are built. This, and having some more plans and drawings at hand certainly should help to solve your modelling issues.

I am already using the Golden Hind drawings to make my ship. The exact same one as you posted.

But I seem to have a lot of trouble getting the end part of the ship right:

This was the best solution I have come up with so far, but it was a real pain to make this. I’d like to know about a better method.

another approach would be to built it in parts instead of one giant mesh !
might make it easier to work

happy bl

Sure, but according to my reference photos, the end part (please let me know what its right name is!) was part of the same “mesh” (hull). The upper planks were extended outwards toward the bow.

Why on earth are you trying to model this as a single mesh?

That, in a nutshell, is the problem…

Ah… This you can do using Cube, Subsurf and Creasing some edges. As a one mesh.
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=104952
Above this i would too suggest using another mesh.

The part of the ship you’re talking about is called the bow. The extension out from that is called the bowsprit. The prow is that part of the forward hull that cuts through the water (beneath the bowsprit), but sometimes refers to the bow in general. See wiki.

The part of the ship you’re talking about is called the bow. The pointy extension from that is called the bowsprit. The prow is that part of the forward hull that cuts through the water (beneath the bowsprit), but sometimes the word is used to refer to the bow in general. See wiki.

(Oops… Sorry for the double post!)

Here’s a diagram from a wooden ship model kit that you can use to figure out how to construct the bow area. More blueprints are at the links below.