How do I model after a blueprint?

Hi folks,
I’ve decided what my next object will be. A good ol’ DC3 (blueprint from suurland.com). But after just a few minutes, I’m stuck, scratching my head and wondering where to go from here.

I’ve place the blueprint as a background image in Blender. I added a plane, and deleted a vertex, aligned the rest of the vertices along the body of the plane, and ctrl-lmb clicked to add more vertices until I have the whole shape of the plane’s body. After this, the questions arise.

My first thought:
Should I just model one half of the plane, and later on, mirror it?

Second thought:
How do I go about with the rest of the modeling? I can’t rotate the object without the background disappearing. And this makes it quite hard to select vertices … Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

That would work too, but you can also just start modeling the one half, go out of edit mode, then make a linked (Alt+D) copy and mirror it (select the copy and press Alt+M in object mode)… You’ll notice afterwards that any changes that you do to the original Mesh under edit mode, affect it’s copy as well…

Second thought:
How do I go about with the rest of the modeling? I can’t rotate the object without the background disappearing. And this makes it quite hard to select vertices … Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Instead of using Blender’s background image, it would have been better to use two perpendicular planes and put your blueprint images on them as a texture…

If you are not familiar with this technique and need more instructions on how to do this I’ll be delighted to help you further…

VelikM had a good tutorial on this but I’m afraid the link to it doesn’t work anymore…

You’ve got a pm! :slight_smile:

If you are not familiar with this technique and need more instructions on how to do this I’ll be delighted to help you further…

Please describe the technique if you don’t mind. I always use background images.

Kayhan

http://membres.lycos.fr/bobois/index_anglais.html

See the"Projection Box" tut.

%<