How do I move to another country?

If I wanted to live in another country, how would I go about doing that?

Is it just a question of money? Anyone who has done that - about how much money did you need to do it?

Did you need a college degree too? I hear that helps.

i think you also need a reason that will help out that country, for example a good education

well educated people are good for a country XD

but it all depends on that countries policies

Yes, you need to be able to prove to the country that you will be an asset to their workforce. It is preferable if you can secure a job in the country, then use that as leeway to get a work visa or citizenship. Citizenship is much harder to get though.

Which country do you want to move to by the way ?

Don’t even bother trying Australia, you have to sit a test to get citizenship now and pay some ridiculous amount of money.

Well, check how high the border fence is. Next, measure the dimensions and flow speed of any water based obstacles(for instance, the Rio Grand is 89’ * 54, 6 MPH). Once you are confidant in your swimming and high jump, go for it. When INS finds you sue for discrimination, then retire on the payout + social security. Drug dealing is a great way to supplement income.

I thought about this and I realised:

I have no idea. I’m interested in finding out though! Don’t you need a visa, and work permit (to move to the UK/Europe)?

I don’t intend to move just yet, but I am considering several countries. I’m interested in Canada, France, The Netherlands, New Zealand, and possibly the UK.

I currently live in the US, in the dump of a state Arkansas. I’m definitely going to move somewhere. It may not be out of the country right away, but I intend to move soon to another state in the mean time.

As a side question, how does one go about getting a job at the Blender Foundation?

whatever country you choose, the bottom line is: make sure you have a place to go, if not, just for a month at least. like ask friends, relatives who live there to hike in their garden, garage, whatever…because believe me you dont want to spend any money on hotels (most people dont have any money at all when they move, or not much) and you need a fixed address for papers later on. then you make sure you get a job. and dont be picky, because your dream job is NOT the first that comes along. the most important thing is that you have a secure job for at least 6 months so you can go for the necessary papers, bank accounts, all the legal stuff, etc…because to get them all it takes usualy at least 3 months (no matter wherever you live).
and you have to have one thing while doing this: determination. withouth this you`re lost. be prepared to experience the feeling of being a total idiot at least 10 times a day in a foreign country, because of all the differences in the way of living life. and without determination you might feel very-very, i mean VERY scared and just give up. then you go back from wherever you came from with less money (or worse, with debt) and with some bad taste in your mouth regarding the experiences.
the good thing is, you gona meet people who want to help you, even if you dont speak the language at all.
doing this even just for fun, or just to see that country has many advantages. the most important advantage is this: you gona realise that im a part of humanity and the whole earth is my home. i can go wherever i want from now on without any fear. the whole situation feels like: i have moved from one room into the other within the same family.

Being an expat isnt always an easy life, but it is certainly possible.

How old are you? Are you married? Do you have a degree? What is your degree in? Are you set on moving to only 1st world western countries? Do you have healthy amount of savings to get you started? Are you determined to work in 3d, or would you be willing (and have the required skills) to work in a different industry?

moving to canada would be the easiest, espically if you are fairly young, say under 40. france will be hard, they already have immigrant problems and probably dont want to add to it. a good way to start would to be writing to all their embasies and asking what they require. and remember a residency permit is usually different than a work permit, you might not be allowed to get a job just because you live there. in that case you would need enough money to live on before you go.

you could marry paris hilton, she has enough to live anywhere, just remember to send me 10% finders fee.

If you move to the EU and you have citizenship you will be eligible to work in any country that is part of the EU without needing a separate working permit.

if you can fake the native accent really well, you might be able to get in and just start wandering around / get arrested. Then when they question you, you can pretend that you just woke up, have no idea who you are, and as long as there’s no way to ID you, you could just get away with having amnesia. Your new life awaits.

Actually, being a US citizen myself, I’ve been thinking of moving to vancouver, Canada. It’s really really cold there, tho. I’ve been thinking about just going someplace and setting up. Just taking all of my money, going someplace, and then staying there, hoping no one notices. If I could make cash on the internet, I could probably get away with it somehow. It’s the job thing that’s really difficult to pull off as an illegal, you’d think.

Anyway, I live in Alabama, and things here aren’t bad. If you get a chance, drive through Huntsville and see if the place looks good to you. I bought a house here recently, because it’s one of the cheapest places to live in the US right now. Cost of living is low. Lots of jobs moving in… lots of new tech jobs. Growing city.

I’m in the process of emmigrating. Have done lots of research. I’m moving to Hong Kong on 16 September.
I can give you plenty info, if you’re keen - way too much to put here.
For most developed countries you need to be able to speak the language and have a college diploma or uni degree. It shouldn’t be too expensive for most people. For me it is expensive, as I have to pay with South African currency, which is worth almost nothing.
Countries like Canada, Australia and New Zealand you can go about in two ways:

1. Apply for permanent residence, before you go. They have point systems in place. Points are given mainly for education. These applications take years to process, eg Canada’s application process take a freaking six years to process, while Oz is about 3-4 years and NZ about two years.
  2. Get a job. Once you have a job, it takes weeks (few months in Canada) to process, but then you can go and live there, while they process your permanent residence visa.
    However, when job hunting without a work permit (which you can’t get without a job…) is that the prospective employer will have to wait for the work visa before you can start working. That puts you at a disadvantage over any local job hunters. Furthermore, in just about every country, they want to the type of work you do needs to be in a field where they have a shortage of skills. Thus you can’t just go flipping burgers in Oz and get a work visa.
    Then, of course, in most countries, except NZ, it is technically illegal to look for work while there on a visitor’s visa. However, many do that, and you’ll have to explain to them how you just happen to have landed a job while visiting as a tourist. :slight_smile:

Chile is one country that is very easy to go to as far as the legallities go. It is also a beautifull place where one can have a high standard of living. I wanted to ga there and run my own business, but I don’t speak Spanish.
I also seriously considered New Zealand - a very beautifull country. I spoke to a friendly helpfull guy down there, called Alltaken :slight_smile: Anyway, my fear was that with a population of only 4.2million, there propable are not too many jobs available. I would have to fly over there and live for a few months without income, before I’d actually could start earning a living - too much risk.

Anyway, if you are serious about emmigration, you can pm me. I can give some tips.

@ ebow3d, I admit I’m not totally serious yet, but I have a few things going for me. I’m studying Computer Science at school and 3d Art on my own, so I could do either one, which ever came first would be fine.

I’ll get a few years of industry experience under my belt before I move that far. I figure the paperwork would have fewer problems if I had a well established job history.

@ Squiggly_P, I’m thinking of Vancouver too. It seems like a great place to be successful as an artist or programmer or both.

I’m pretty surprised about Alabama. I knew it was cheap to live there, I didn’t know it was developing jobs in the technology sector. That’s interesting and I’ll keep it in mind.

Finland, Finland, Finland, Finland, Finland.

I came here in 1997 and I just stayed. Originally I was an exchange student (surprisingly studying Finnish as major), but then I just got a job and stayed.

I think the most important thing for a successful move to another country is that you want to integrate (which is not the same as losing identity!). Ideally, you’d learn the language of your target country, too. I see many foreigners here in Finland that complain about everything being so difficult, but IMO the main reason is with themselves, and not with the country, nor its government, nor its people. And I’m pretty sure this goes everywhere.

/Nathan

Yeah, there are some pretty decent jobs moving in here. I honestly don’t know how long they’ll last, tho. You’d probably be better of in Vancouver. There are a number of new tech companies scoping the town out, tho. It’s not Silicon Valley or anything, but it’s there…

Probably has a lot to do with NASA and the Redstone Arsenal being here.

Howitzer, as US citizen it would be pretty easy for you to move to anywhere in Canada. Vancouver is ranked one of the three most livable cities in the world.

jesterKing, I know, there are many people that emmigrate and then sit back and complain about their new country. A lot of South Africans are emmigrating nowadays, due to conditions here, which is understandable. However, I do get a pain when I hear them complaining about how terrible it is in their new country. Not only that, but they just love to feel real sorry for themselves, for being ‘forced’ to leave.
In fact, on a forum for SA people moving to Canada, I was almost banned once, for speaking my mind, lol. One woman there, compared herself to Nelson Mandela. She thought she is in a worse predicament than him, as she is forced to go live in Canada for the rest of her life (sob), while he only had to do 27 years in prison! lol.
Anyway, relocating to another part of the world is exciting. You get to experience different cultures, and meet new people.

Oor starter you could go for Germany thay ar reely hungery for Cumpjuterexperts. France its harder curse thay ar in a low reight now. (I have tryed to get a work at frace myself but not succseeded yet due curse to franc have 13% unemplyment at the time)

You could allways move on leater to france after the situation have changed. It’s also possibel to work in one cuntry and live in an other if you are close to the border.

Beisdes I gues you are reeding frence i school? I was studding it first after I got to french and after now studding fulltime in 8 week I still nowe to little to get a work in frence. It’s a must here in cuntruer to te native language in Sacninavia and in some informatics work in Germeny. But I think it will be good oppertunetys her in Anibes leater on when the Sophie Antioplies tecknology park got more developed (it’s EU:s cilecon wally).

japan is the country i whanted to go my whole life, and one time i will.

in august 2006 i hitchhiked with my frind to marokko for one month, i had only 240 euro, but 83 euro was for the fery way and back from spain to marokko^^