How do I reset to the original view and what's the marker thing?

I just started and went through a tutorial on the interface. I feel pretty good with panning, zooming, etc. Two quick newbies questions, though:

How do I reset the view to the original view I had of the object after I’m done panning, etc?

Also, when I left click on the screen there’s sort of a crosshair marker that stays where I clicked. What’s that for?

Thanks. On to the next tutorial… : )

The crosshair is the 3D-coursor.
When you place an object in the scen, it is placed on this position.
Also you can move/rotate etc. relative to the 3D-coursor if you want.
Sure there are more possibilities to use it.
You can also change its location in a palette wehen you hit n.

What do you mean with panning. Did you move the camera or just the editor view?

How do I reset the view to the original view I had of the object after I’m done panning, etc?
Why do you want to ? The original view is of no real significance. The numpad keys wil set standardised views

Also, when I left click on the screen there’s sort of a crosshair marker that stays where I clicked. What’s that for?
Thsi is the 3d curser. When you add an object it will appear at this location. You can also use it as a pivot point and positioning other objects accurately

It just seems nice to have a fix, preset orthogonal (Is that the right word?) viewpoint you can always return to, so you can see the object/scene from a 3-d perspective. Not critical. Like you said, the keypad works.

How 'bout this then: Since I like the look of the original POV, is it possible to store it as a preset view and return to it whenever I want?

Hmmm, you have the side views with 1,3, and 7.

If you want a fixed Camera position to go back whenever you want then place a camera on this position and make it to active camera. So you can go there with 0 whenever you like.

Is it this what you wanted?