how do you delete edges without removing faces

Hi
i am trying to remove or delet edges from the surface without deleting faces and openign holes. when i delete the edges it can remove or kill connected vertices as well, same question goes for vertices too. how do you delete vertices without opening holes?

thnx

I don’t think this is possible in blender (I’m sure somebody will correct me if I’m wrong)

Basically- If you delete an edge then the face in theory could go on forever in 3-dimensional space (basically it has no defining boundary). Same with a vertice except it would have no endpoints.

You however can megre vertices- by pressing “alt+m” then you get a screen where you can merge vertices in the center of the two vertices or on the 3d cursor. If you press “shift+s” you can snap the 3d cursor to a vertex and then use the merge at cursor to merge the two vertices at excatly that selection. This will hoever create triangles (assuming the faces are quads) or just an edge (if the faces are triangles)

Hope this helps

i understand what you are saying,
but all the softwares out there can do such thing , actually it is one of the most basic modelling. basically make sphere, select some edges on the same row and delete them. this is like a basic thing.
blender has so much highend stuff, i would be really surprised if it is missing such simple operation

thnx for your answer thou

Do you mean separate the vertex (faces) ?
Try ‘P’

Deleting an edge but keeping the face doesn’t mean anything, a face is defined by its edges, if you remove an edge you remove the face.

if you mean making faces with more than Four edges it is not possible in the 2.34, it will however be possible in 2.35 (already in 2.34 CVS) by pression ‘F’ when selecting faces to merge

no i do not mean seperation,
when you delete an edge yes you get rid of the face but you make new faces because you get rid of the limit with other polygon.
thouy i must say i use, maya, lightwave, modo. so what i am asking a standart way of doing things.

so if you have 4 quads connected eachother, and i will delete the edges in the middle row

as you see now you have 2 polygons,as compared the before. they can be quads or not based on their neighbours

So basically you want to remove the edge in the middle correct? If thats all then why don’t you just delete the edge in the middle and rebuild the face, assuming it has 4 vertices (As of right now). Other wise to accompish this task you would need to do the snap weld I talked about earlier. By snapping and welding the vertices from the middle to the ends, you eliminate the center edge, but retain the overall poly. Other wise I don’t believe this is possible in blender.

i see, basically there are work arounds but not necessarily a function for it

basically make ngon works ok for that i gave as example, but i can not further go with operation. lets say i select the left 2 quads and make ngon, then goto right 2 quads (thinx as a 4*4 chessboard), and make ngon. works fine. but then if i want to select both newly create ngons and make another ngon to totally get rid of the middle edge line, it does not let me do it

saying
cannot make ngongs with interior vertices. then i know i need to get rid of one vertex that is left from all other operations

but i think this is hell alot of step to get rid of 4 edges

would have ben nice if we had a simple way of doing it

i am guessing it is a technical limitation with blender currently

quote=“MusicMan”]So basically you want to remove the edge in the middle correct? If thats all then why don’t you just delete the edge in the middle and rebuild the face, assuming it has 4 vertices (As of right now). Other wise to accompish this task you would need to do the snap weld I talked about earlier. By snapping and welding the vertices from the middle to the ends, you eliminate the center edge, but retain the overall poly. Other wise I don’t believe this is possible in blender.[/quote]

Blender doesn’t support ngons, so faces must have either 3 or 4 verts/edges. In an upcomming release there will be fgons. As I understand it they will be fake ngons with internal tri’s written to meshdata but internal verts/edges not drawn on the model.

%<

thank you, that explains everything