How Do You Get Internal Lights To Work?

…cos mine just doesn’t want to play :-/
4.1, fairly basic scene w/ a Sun i’ve banged up to 500 and it lights everything but the room i’ve place it in

TIA

The “Sun Light” adds a sun to the scene. A sun is outside. It doesn’t matter where you put the sun.

Change the angle of the sun. So that the sun shines through the windows.
Or take another light. Point, Spot or Area.

2 Likes

Depending on the size of the scene, the intensity of light should be applied differently.

Add…

There seems to be something wrong with the setting somewhere. If you look at it on a similar scale, light passes through the window at intensity 1 of sunlight.

add…

Change the angle of the sunlight to allow light inside. If it is vertical, the building blocks the light.

As fave_edge says sun lamps are different, from the manual:

A sun light provides light of constant intensity emitted in a single direction from infinitely far away. It can be very handy for a uniform clear daylight open-space illumination. In the 3D Viewport, the sun light is represented by an encircled black dot with rays emitting from it, plus a dashed line indicating the direction of the light.

Note

This direction can be changed by rotating the sun light, like any other object, but because the light is emitted from a location considered infinitely far away, the location of a sun light does not affect the rendered result.

So even if you place the sun lamp inside the room it is still considered infinity far away, the walls and roof will shadow the light.

4 Likes

cheers all. learned something new today!

1 Like

Also: a general rule-of-thumb for lighting is that the final effect must be plausible. In other words, “don’t draw my eye” with something that stands out with “this is wrong.” But, beyond that, there are lots of ways to light a scene. You do not have to “match ‘physical reality,’” and sometimes trying to do so is the hard way.

One of the very best pieces of (real-world) photographic advice I ever got was: "Look at the Light."