How do you keep the Camera fixed on an the object as you move around it?

I’m wanting to be able to move around an object with the camera fixed on it. while being able to to move in close to the object and out far away from the object never looking way from the object. can any one show me an example of how this could be done or point me in the right direction?

Hope this can help:
OmniperspectiveSetUp.blend (226 KB)
Replace the monkey with your object and use the arrow keys to rotate around, numpad 2, 4, 6, 8 to pan or numpad +/- to zoom.

This is very helpful. Do you know of a way to keep it centered after you zoom in or out? I noticed after i zoom in and rotate the object will rotate off the center view point. also if anyone knows what it would take to constrain the camera so it could only zoom to close view and not pass through the object. Thanks for the file it will get me much closer to what i am trying to do.

I parented a cube to the camera and another to the empty that is the controlling factor in your (OmniperspectiveSetUp.blend) file in order to see what the movement is while in Play mode. I see now that when zooming, the empty is really moving away from the object therefore when you rotate after you zoom in, the empty is no longer centered with the main object. So i am in need of a way to bring that camera in close to the object without moving the empty away from the center of the main object. can any one show me an example of how this could be done or point me in the right direction?

Do you know of a way to keep it centered after you zoom in or out? I noticed after i zoom in and rotate the object will rotate off the center view point.
True! This should solve that (adjust camera distance to your needs):
PanoramicCamTemplate.blend (340 KB).

Excellent! Exactly what i was looking for. Thank you so much.

But is this same movement possible by using the mouse instead of the keyboard. For example, mouse click and drag to rotate around the object and Middle mouse scroll button to zoom in and out? Does anyone know of a way to do this?

The zooming with mouse scroll button was easy enough just changed the sensors from keyboard to WheelUp and WheelDown Sensors. Still need help with rotating with the mouse by clicking and dragging. can any one show me an example of how this could be done or point me in the right direction?

Hi’a! I am looking for a Python Script for Blender 2.6 to achieve exactly what LeachD26 is asking for: To be able to Zoom the Camera In and Out using the Mouse Scroll Wheel and Rotate the Camera around the object by Holding the Mouse Wheel Button and dragging the Mouse. Anyone know where such a script can be found? Thanks for help. :slight_smile:

I am new to blender, but I think I can help.
Go to file - user preferences - interface - and check zoom to mouse, and check rotate around selection.
Save as default.
Then in the 3D view press N to open the tool bar on the right.
Go down and check Lock camera to view.
In the 3D view go into camera view and rotate around and zoom and pan and you will always be in camera view.
Hope this helped.

Hi Lampliter :slight_smile: Thank you for your reply. But that’s not what I am trying to achieve. Maybe you didn’t quite understand what I was asking for?
I am looking for a Python Script for Blender 2.6 Game Engine that gives the Mouse the exact same functionality inside the Game Engine as inside the Default 3D View.
For example, in Default 3D View the scrolling Mouse Wheel forward zooms in and Mouse Wheel back zooms out. Clicking and holding the Mouse Wheel button and then dragging the Mouse Rotates the 3D View around the selected object. However inside the Blender Game Engine (Entered by Pressing P while in Object Mode) that mouse functionality is not maintained. In fact by default the Mouse has no functionality inside the Blender Game Engine (BGE) . A Python Script is required to make the Mouse work inside BGE. There are a few Tutorials on how to add Mouse Look inside the BGE such as this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWi1_sh9pno - But the Python Script used in this tutorial does not give the functionality I require. So I am looking for a Python Script that gives the mouse functionality I described above.
Thanks any ways :slight_smile:

Sorry Orion, I get it now. Like I said, Im new. The game engine is advanced for me. However I hope you figure it out.

@ Lampliter - No worries sir. Thank you for trying to help, and hey, your advice did help (even if not with my specific question), cos it made me investigate the User Preference panel for the first time. Cheers! :slight_smile:

I found a solution though. 2 Youtube Tutorials by a guy called Fisicmotion. He includes a Python Script to achieve this Mouse Functionality.

Move Camera with Mouse - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSWdBtl43XI&list=UUU2DdYgmovyevZmIPCM3w7w&index=2

and

Improving Camera Setup -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHHTjkdF3I8&list=UUU2DdYgmovyevZmIPCM3w7w&index=1

These 2 Tutorials explain exactly how to do it.

@ Cotax - Thanks very much for the link to that Blend File - That is also very helpful, and does also achieve that mouse functionality.

Cheers guys! :smiley:

Looks like you found my wowstyle.blend to be useful! I’d love to see how it helped! :slight_smile: