how do you make a simple screensaver ?

Well, I’ll tell you, I’m not a programmer, good modeler, or a game maker. I would hoever like to make a screensaver with some simple 3D in it.

for example, I’d like to take a logo, perhaps spin it around, and loop it. saving it out as a screensaver. Seems pretty easy right? well after I animate the logo, then what.
is it some scripting needed?

How do you save it properly?

where is this information? One thing I wish there was more of was simple tutorials to accomplish a single task in blender. There are good ones out there, it’s just so difficult to find the right one in the time anyone has.

if you know how to do this, give me a step 1. 2. 3. Later on, other people will benefit from this thread, so explain it the best you can.

How screen savers are called and implemented depends on what operating system you use and since you don’t tell us no one can help you. If you are on windows you can probably find a screen saver that plays an avi file of your choice. Not sure if the game engine can be used as a screensaver as I know next to nothing about it.

GreyBeard

The Blender player can be used to make a Windows screen saver. Read about it in the releaselog of Blender version 2.36 under Game Engine:

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Blender_2_36.384.0.html

Where exactly is it on that page? The page is very long. I never knew about this screensaver thing. Like to learn how to use it myself.

In the Game Engine part of the releaselog…

Where exactly is it on that page? The page is very long.

g, man use that CTRL F thing and type ‘saver’, you lazy bastard . just kiding.

anyway I pasted it here, realy interesting :slight_smile:

Support added for Windows screen saver in Blender player;

Any blenderplayer.exe (with the patch applied) can be renamed into something.scr, and it will behave as a Windows screen saver.

(Right-click the .scr file, and select “Install”. Then, it will appear in the screen saver properties dialog part of the display settings, including small preview et al).

The screen saver functionality does not affect the executable when it is NOT named .scr

The screen saver automatically exits when the mouse/keyboard is moved/pressed. There is no more need to wrap blenderplayer.exe into a bat file and use python quit controllers, or whatever else is suggested at this page.

btw, anybody already tried ?
it says just rename the exe to scr
but how do you do to make that scr use your blend file ??

You don’t rename Blender, you rename the execuatable you get when doing Save Runtime in a blend file with gameblender stuff.

Martin

indeed, just found that out
thx m8
could not find anything in the forums
merry xmas
happy new year

haha thats cool is there a possebility to get thios also working on os x?

claas

1 Like

It’s pretty simple to save out a runtime, but I have a question here.

Say I want to do a screensaver of some text on a curve rotating around a globe. Kind of like the universal studios logo. But since it’s a screensaver obviously it’s only good if it’s continuous motion.

so How can i loop the animation and save it out properly. I’ve saved a runtime before and it didn’t work what are the steps in between?

any help is greatly appreciated here.

I have a little program called screensavermaker by 21hua… it allows you to make screensavers out of pictures and or video files… have a look at that.

what patch are they on about. i cant get it to work. Do you do the following:
File>Save Runtime>filename.exe>Then in windows explorer change the name to filename.scr>Then right click and install

Or

File>Save Runtime>filename.scr>Then right click and install whilst in windows explorer

When I do either all i get is open or run as… Also, when i open it it says python yaddy yaddy ya cant be found, i no that this is because the python file isnt in the same location as the blender file, but does it have to be in the sam elocation for the file to be accepted as a screen saver?

can anyone tell me how to loop the animation or loop the scene so the screensaver will actually be useful?

Otherwise you’d have to code in some randomization of motion to infinity to have a screensaver that moved around constantly.

welcome back from the holidays everyone.

I’m also curious about how (or if) the game engine can be used to build a screen saver in Mac OS X… I did some looking around and some searches but didn’t come up with anything.

Anybody know?

1 Like