How do you set loop points in the animator timeline?

I simply want to set a start and end frame… by default that’s 1 to 250. I just want the nimator to restart back to frame 1 when it hits 250. I do not want to make a looping animation or infinitely repeating animation. I simply want the mechanical operation of going from frame 250 back to frame 1 until I hit stop. This is so that I can test cloth simulation parameters easily, see changes in realtime and have the simulation reset so I can experience new changes.

Afaik it’s not possible by default. But you can easily code an operator that does exactly what you want and bind it to a hotkey. If you’re not proficient coding an addon, you could use the Serpens addon that helps you implement the operator and hotkey quite easily.

Essentially you want to combine Play/Stop Animation (screen.animation_play) and Jump to Endpoint (screen.frame_jump).

Maybe I don’t understand what you want, but by default with start and end keyframes, and animation plays, when it hits the last keyframe it will automatically return to frame one in a loop and play again…

Can you explain further?

oh it does do this by default, but does it actually restart the simulation? yes. oh… once in a while one will ask a stupid question. oh well, this thread will be searchable with google for the next person.

1 Like