How 'friendly' is elysiun ?

True, but some noobs need encouragement. Would you say to a child that their drawing is crap because it’s all over the place? I’m with you on the constructive criticism, but I think that happens here at Elysiun. Check out the post in Blender General about adding realism.

We all know you’re not much of a noob fan, shbaz ;). I’m kind of the same. I can’t stand when people ask simple questions that are in the manual because it shows they haven’t bothered to read it. There are excellent tuts that someone has taken the effort to produce and for people to come here and ask to be spoon-fed on how to animate is very annoying.

Maybe if there was a link in large text directly to the pdf manual on the front page, saying for noobs to read it first before posting.

Sometimes I think elYsiun is too friendly in regards to criticising work. I hate to see something that has blatant flaws replied to with, "Great! Photorealistic and flawless! OMG!!!1!"x10

This is actually very true … I’ve never seen this happen on any other forum…
Elysiun is the only place where you can just press raytracing make a few reflections and voila… let’s post it …

It seems very friendly to me. Apart from some recent pointless comments in a certain recent finished projects thread, I can’t remember anyone saying anything downright nasty about someone elses work.
Sometimes there is too much “great start !”, “this will look great when finished” stuff when it quite clearly won’t, but this does encourage people. Generally I find people give good, sound advice on how to improve things to newbies and experts alike.

:-? I would say to a child, “You have great vision, practice as much as you can and one day you could be a great artist,” which I think is reassuring enough. I think it is also not inappropriate to give tips for drawing better (example: draw a body, some children simply draw a head with legs and arms sprouting from it) but I’ve had people get very upset with me for stating a simple fact or opinion without any animosity and with sound reasoning… that’s why I wrote my sig some months ago. I can’t remember what it was, but something in the WIP forum.

It sounds bad, but I hardly visit the FW or WIP forums anymore because of the lower quality and the unwillingness of some people to take crits seriously (and without animosity). I’ve been trying to read more and maybe answer questions here and there… I guess it’s also because I have little time for it anyway lately because I’m starting a small business, have a full time job, and I’m attending school part-time. I guess that probably doesn’t upset anyone though. :stuck_out_tongue:

My tendancy for bluntness has made me somewhat unpopular.

I think that one of the great things about elysiun is that when people post a really newbie piece of work, in general people give constructive crits for making it look better. As long as a thread gets a few of the “well, its ok, but it could use blah blh blah” amongst all the “wows”, it doesn’t really matter… Elysiun art is often very newbie-ish, but if they couldn’t post it here without people saying “you suck - come back when its better”, then the world would be a much sadder place.

(I’ve observed the you suck comments on other forums, and really they are no help at all - because even if someone does get more “wows” than they deserve, it means that they are going to keep trying, and hopefully get better naturally - If someone is taking up mountian biking, I encourage them to go faster, but always say “that went very well” at the end - because that means that they are more likely to do it again)

That is true, but compromise is necessary… somewhere in the thread there is a need for someone to say, “you can do better by doing blah blah.”

eat my asshole!

I don’t respond to threads when the image is bad, wich is the reason I rarely post in WIP…

i agree to some degree but the things is that art is very subjective, people have differing opinions as to what looks good and what looks bad. Also i think people tend to quantify others efforts based on there only level of skill, so a newbie might say to an intermediate that there image is great when more experienced people disagree…on the whole i think this works to the advantage of the community because there is nearly always someone telling you that you work looks good so there is the encouragement to keep going.

sometimes we forget that we were newbies once and that we asked stupid questions too, but because people answered them we grew to wherever we are now.

i think we have a fairly functional and welcoming community going here at elysiun, sure we have the occasional clash of personalitites, or lapse in judgement but usually the ensuing backlash from other users has the appropriate effect and everything returns to normal

my 2cents worth. timmo

Yeah, I can see why that happens sometimes. I get like that occasionally with learner drivers when they get in my way. Then I just have to compose myself and drive on, remembering that there was a time I couldn’t remember to release the handbrake before I drove off or start in 1st gear. %|

I think the fact that a lot of n00b work gets niceties thrown at it is grand… because usually the constructive critisism is there… if people are only ever critisized they won’t enjoy themselves and blender would loose users.

The downside is that this tendency to be only positive is counterproductive where it concerns people that we all know are great.

But then… it seems to work… One of the nice things here is that you can say someting utterly stupid and you won’t get booted… I’ve done it… and I’m still here… for now :wink: (dun worry I apologised)

I still think though as a crit… I really don’t like the tendency this community has to fragment. Like with the competitions… now suddenly there’s a new forum elsewhere only for competitions? And somewheres else there’s a gallery for the weekend challenge? and ehr… well it’s confusing. It’s a shame that elysiun.com doesn’t simply incorporate all those things. If someone can take the initiative to setup a forum for a certain missing function at elysion… then why can’t that person do that here???

I know it’s inherent in basicly a “volunteer” community but with a bit more organisation lots more would be achieved.

There are certainly some sour apples, and I perhaps could be accused of being one at times, but generally people are quite friendly provided certain topics are avoided, lol. (Israel, Maya, Avatars, Post Count…)

I have to disagree here. If we check out blender battles, it use alot of bandwith. Just the battle between me and alltaken somehow got popular…and it used ALOT, but I mean, ALOT OF BANDWITH…loading our pic each time people was cheking it…it sucked his bandwith fastly…now if all that + the gallery was on elysiun, it would cost more for elysiun. don’t you think? These people are offering place for people to host their image in a free and good way… So all in all, I think they give a gift to the community and let elysiun live without them paying for bandwith…

but I do agree that elysiun could have those site linked in the link section…or having a “Competition” section that when you click on it redirect you to alltaken’s website…or something like this. Anyway. maybe in the next design! :smiley: