How import IFC into Blender without add-on

Hi I just discovered a way to import IFC into Blender, there are two tools one is a command line conversion tools: ifcConverter but work well with drag and drop and convert the IFC file into obj, and the other one is CAD ASSITANT an awesome viewer that is able to save the file into various file format but the best for Blender is the new .glb.

CAD Assistant is multi platform application that are freely downloadable with signup from Apple App store and Google Play Store, boot work well in ARM devices, and the desktop of windows work well also in WineHQ under Linux Ubuntu.

CAD Assistant is based on open source libraries (Open CASCADE Technology, Qt, FreeType, FreeImage, etc.) and employs open formats for CAD and mesh data (STEP, IGES, BREP, DXF, SAT (ACIS), glTF, JT, PLY, STL, OBJ, 3DM).

Some images

2 Likes

Great find! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I know that this thread talks about not using the add-on, but I’d like to warn that sometimes, it is important to read the IFC file directly using the add-on without conversion to maintain BIM data, such as object spatial tree, attributes, materials, and more.

The add-on has been heavily updated for blender 2.8 and supports a ton of new features for export as well as improved import:

https://blenderbim.org

2 Likes

Thanks I will try soon these awesome addon

Congratulations for the great job, I hope to see more news soon, now you can directly create buildings and objects for BIM in Blender and import and export IFC file . This add-on needs the right space for a better visibility.

1 Like

Hello, unfortunately I can not convert the IFC files into other formats except PNG and LOG. Does anyone have an idea why this might be? many thanks

If I’m right you are trying to save these into NURBS format, IFC is an hybrid format, you cant convert this into NUBRS IGES or STEP format if they made with mesh polygonal object. but only into cor-respective geometry like OBJ or GLB or any other formats, the only hybrid ways is BREP.