How many frames equal to one second

I have been thinking about this question ever since I was introduced to animating, so if someone could awnser it, my planning stages would become much easier, thx!

Hey man , look , this actually depends on your frames per second settings , by default is 25 frames per sec.

But this can be changed , in united states i guess its 26 fps , for the web some people used to use 12.

Normally its 25 fps , you can change this in the render panel .

1 Like

Use either 25 or 30.

For US television, there are 29.97 frames per second (30 is close). For european tv, there are 25 frames per second. For TV it is actually twice that, but only half is shown at a time, but in Blender you model at 30 or 25. For film, you set your FPS to 24.

Hii friends.Frame rate, or frame frequency, is the measurement of the frequency (rate) at which an imaging device produces unique consecutive images called frames, Frame rate is most often expressed in frames per seconds(fps) , 24 frames equal to one sec

Unless you render to quicktime using Blender then your FPS get’s all messed up and is divided by 10. So a 30fps animation rendered out to a quicktime video in Blender equals 3 fps playback.

There are thos technical considerations like outputing for a specific device spect: 24FPS for film, 30FPS for NTSC TV systems, 25FPS for PAL or SECAM TV systems. If you output to QuickTime or Media Player or any one of the format designed to play on a computer, then any FPS will do and you can decide on any arbitrary FPS that may suit your project better.

If you plan to do toon animation the traditional way and follow traditional techniques, then you may decide to go at 24FPS because all the animation techniques and timing and stuff like that are traditionally teached assuming 24FPS. Traditional animator develop an intuitive feel for timing based on 24FPS and will say sentences like “people walk on 12”. That means that people take 12 frames to do a walk step. That is half a second at 24FPS. Most of all the instructional material found in animation books, online and in animation schools assume 24FPS. One rationale I heard for sticking with 24FPS is that this is easily divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 12. When animating characters, being able to freely subdivide like that without falling on half frames is a great advantage.

With the currently available technology, it is not a gig issue to convert a 24FPS movie into another frame rate.

Unless you render to quicktime using Blender then your FPS get’s all messed up and is divided by 10. So a 30fps animation rendered out to a quicktime video in Blender equals 3 fps playback.

Huh? Sorry but those two sentences contradict each other and even if they didn’t, the information seems incorrect for a properly functioning system. So you might need to check where you’re problems are coming from. Maybe you’ve got a buggy install or something.

:confused::eek:Really? Gosh i’ve always rendered as QT and never met this problem!! Is it a “new” issue with 2.45 15 ??

Oh sorry… forgot that getting through QT is only the second step… I always render as images and then open those with QT to have my ProRes Final Cut ready sequences…
But i’ll have a try to render a sequence in ProRes directly, next time, to observe what’ll happen.

I agree with the other commnts on that sentence. That is not my experience at all with QuickTime. When I render at 30FPS then I get 30FPS playback. You need to check your QuckTime parameters because, obviously, there is something really wrong there.

Wow. This thread is full of so much misinformation.
Anyone who wants the REAL answer to this question, read what PapaSmurf wrote. This is the truth.

Trust me. I work in TV.

Listen to the smurf.

Got that?
PAL TV (Europe & Australia): 25fps
NTSC TV (America): 29.97fps
Film: 24fps

According to the releasenotes for 2.46 and wikipedia, 29.97 for NTSC is still only an approximation and ntsc has a framerate of 30/1.001.

So it’s approximately a framerate of 29,97002997002997002997002997003 frames per second.
But that’s about 1 frame difference every 9.5 hours of film, so 29.97 is quite close.

2.46 makes it possible to precisely match the framerate using the ‘frames per second base’ value.

cheers

Haunt

The industry standard frame rates are as Smurf Daddy listed, but as mentioned, the frame rate can be anything you set it to in Blender. If you’re not required to use a standard fps, here’s some info that may help in choosing a setting:

Human perception integrates rapidly changing images into the impression of a single image, including images of motion, a phenomenon called persistence of vision. But there’s a lower limit to the rate of change that is seen as a smooth, continuous action, and the “edge” of that limit is right about at 15fps. Below that and the change from image-to-image becomes perceptible and any motion portrayed tends to look “jerky.” So unless you’re looking for a “special effect,” keep the fps well above 15.

Old silent film was often shot at a targeted frame rate of 18fps – “targeted” because the cameras were often hand-cranked and the speed actually was somewhat variable. These old flicks look rather sped-up today because they’ve been converted to 24 fps, the current film industry standard frame rate, which was arrived at based on camera & sound engineering considerations as much as any other factor.

Video frame rates (NTSC 29.970 in the US; PAL 25 in Europe) were also set by engineering considerations, due to the way a TV image is constructed. The often mentioned “30 fps” is actually not a standard for any set medium, but is just an approximation of the US 29.970, but which has become a sort of de facto standard for digital video aimed at playback via computer.

Anything above 30 fps is usually not worth the additional overhead in render time & number of frames, but might be used for some special purposes (like intentional frame-rate conversions, where more data is useful).

So now you have a useful range of values that answer your question – anywhere from about 18 frames to 30 frames per second, depending on the circumstances.

Rendering with 50 fps for PAL or 60 fps for NTSC in Blender can be necessary since I heard some node-compositor effects don’t work too well with fields and it’s better to convert the frames to fields afterwards.

in USA it’s 30 frame per second