How many textures (image data) is too much?

Bit of an odd question.

Like many newcomers ask how many polygons is reasonable I want to know the texture upper limit.

For example, if I have about 1000 objects with each needing around 512x512 pixels of unique texture images would that blow up the gpu?

Also, what is a reasonable ratio of objects? Bigger (4k) textures and less objects?

Edit: The concern is not really vertex or object count, but purely the maximum unique pixel count presentable.

the best method, is to build group instances of objects made of reuasable sub objects that are each under 128 vertex, ‘IF’ there are thousands of them and there is a long viewdistance, like trees, or buildings made of modules, or??

bge does not currently support instancing but upbge has support for it,

if all the subobjects use 1 material, and there are only a smallish number of geometries,
it can really save on draw calls, per material and instance*

The concern is not really vertex or object count, but purely the maximum unique pixel count.

you can have 1000 objects all using the same very large texture cut into chunks using uv offsets unique to each copy* 1 larger file I think* if the card is big enough is preferable from what I understand*

“5) It’s good to atlas all of the bits of texture used by one object so that the entire object can be rendered in one draw call. Within reason, its good to merge statically related objects and atlas their textures together so that they all can be rendered in one call. After that, it’s good to atlas the textures of objects that use the same shader to give the renderer the opportunity to skip changing textures between draws.”

Maybe I am not clear enough:

(not what is actually happening)

I generate a huge 798720000 pixel image, which is around 28262x28262 picture.
I wish to display it in bge.
Like a landscape texture on google maps.

I cant reuse pixels or textures so to say. Everything is unique.

Edit: I guess it is like a texture atlas on steroids.

just remember you need room in the Vram for all that, but if it’s a newer card, that is why AAA titles run so fast from my understanding (one big material used over and over in clever ways)

what your making sounds like maybe a terrain editor?

Why not trying it out?

It seems you are interested in these specs. So just benchmark it :D.

There is a thing called bachelor thesis, it’s very angry and not writing itself…

I tried, but but couldn’t get videotexture ImageBuf to work as expected. (image size, color parameter, plot function, nothing works)
But my quick test showed that 16k on a plane worked 60fps.
Whether it was actually working couldn’t tell as of Imagebuf being only black.

Also I dont know if i can create textures (not overwrite) during runtime.

I got pil and pyOpenGL, but sdfgeoff has a example using plot,

You might have a look at this one: DynamicTexture (runtime with dependencies)

It is the source from this thread: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?341884

You can manipulate imageBuff.py as it is just a demonstration for a custom file. See: generatePattern()

This was the kind of answer I expected.
Any way to use single byte for a pixel?

I got the generation ‘working’ now.

But the images sometimes turn black.
And I guess I can’t generate a new texture, only a new image in the texture slot.

Space Bar and fly:

Attachments

texture1.blend (604 KB)

You can generate as many new texture sources as you like. But your number of materials is limited. I’m not sure if you get a new material via LibNew.

As it’s only a hunch, didn’t really know if it reasonable or flawed.

Had an idea of how to reduce meshing for voxels to absolute minimum.

Each voxel chunk has 3*(axis size +1) planes where faces can be. (slices)

So if at least 1 face exists on a plane there has to be at least one polygon.
Now if I could map all the voxels with a single polygon, that would be least amount of polygons possible.

So I think that by mapping a voxel’s face only to a pixel on a polygon I can increase performance.

(the voxel faces would be single color or with shader tricks even textured)

I think the worst case calculation would be

CHUNK_SIZE = 32

PLANES = 3*(CHUNK_SIZE+1) = 99

PIXELS = 99 * CHUNK_SIZE ** 2 = 101376

DIMENSION = 101376 ** 0.5 = ~320x320 # per chunk

Best case would be only 6 planes with 1 pixel = 3x2 image.

A current mid-high card has around 4gb of vram.
I also vaguely remember that system memory is shared with intergrated gpus, so…
Maybe possible?

Wasn’t clear enough. Yeah, I meant to stack planes in all 3 axis with alpha.
And as said, most of the time I wont even need all planes or pixels :D.

Concerning the example, isn’t it because animation? pretty sure you turned it off, tho.

Maybe I should then test alpha texture limit first.
Would spawning a lot of planes with same alpha texture suffice?
Or should I procedurally generate them…

Also, thanks for the insight, getting things in perspective slowly now.