How much would a short film cost?

If the concept art, script, storyboard, voice acting and all other pre-production matters have already been sorted, how much does it cost on average to produce a short film animation in blender? I’m assuming it’s very expensive.

Excactly $19,879.89 USD

It’s expensive and pretty much open end.

Because you can do it South park style or Pixar style.
You can be content with simple animation or spend a day per character per 5 seconds.
You can have 1 character to animate or an average of 5 or 10. Need I say “Burly Brawl”?
It is absolutely undefined how much actual work has to be done.

You could phone pixar or smaller animation companies, be persistent in an elegant and charming way and try to get their numbers, since ordinary production costs include everything.

I’ll do any film for a hundred bucks as long as all its scenes include: 100% night scenes during a new moon AND a country wide blackout AND an overcast sky so not even the milkyway or the planets cast any light. No flashlights or torches either. I learned this trick from Terry Gilliam who promotes that tall grass really speeds up walk cycles.

If you take the cost of 1 second “asdf movie” and one second “Wreck-it Ralph”, you get an average.

An average will not get you anywhere. The question is: what would the specific style and scope of what you want to accomplish cost with a particular team or company? Ask the team or the company in question.

That of course doesn’t mean you should give up hope of accomplishing your goal. But you need to be realistic in order to find the right way to achieve it. And when I say “realistic”, I mean that an idea like the onemilliondollarhomepage would have been a good way to finance a short film at the time. That particular idea is burnt out but there are others waiting to be discovered. Either the project itself has to be profitable or you have to strive for increasing your income.

It depends how many friends/contacts you have and what skills they possess http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/chris-burton-on-en-passant-short-animated-film

60$ at most :wink:

Normally yes, but since it’s Cyber Monday you can get it done for 19,436.99.

At most 3 Triganic Pu

about tree fiddy

Probably your entire life for the next two years.

Actually you have to remember that anything that is technically a movie that is less than 40 mins is a short film

so…
yeah

an open gl render of a cube doing a really really slow translation between one part of the scene to the other is a short film

Say decent artists tend to charge $40-$200 per hour. A broad range for a broad range of skills.

Say 10 seconds of video takes 20 man-hours to produce to a pro quality if the people know what they are doing and work goes very quickly.

So you are looking at $80 - 400 per second of animation, and I think this is a bit low, it assumes you don’t need many assets to go in each scene, don’t pay for any assets, don’t pay for any software, also assumes you don’t have to pay voice actors, etc…

5 minutes = $24,000, then. Which seems right if you manage to do outstanding work in terms of bang/buck.

Of course it’s possible to do it for less, but then you either need to do it yourself, or with volunteers, or settle for amateur quality.

Doesnt have to cost anything if you wanna make a short film without money lol

We have made like 20 episodes of Ray and Clovis without spending a penny.

odin not quite true. you dont get free electric and i know rendering can make a pc sound like its going for lift off. its sucking some juice.

if you want to do it cheap look into useing a game engine. it can render real time so it uses much less electric. you can use unreal engine 4 for free. it takes over a minuet to render a single frame in blender cycles. you need 60 frames to make 1 second of video to 1080p. so you are looking at your pc running over an hour at full power for 1 second of video. 60 hours for a minuet of video. thats 2 1/2 days per minuet. so even if you do everything yourself its going to cost on your power bill.

fallout 4 just came out and there are alot of modders for it. not sure about the license for useing the engine but hireing some modders might be the cheapest route.

or hire odin. he might be cheap. if you google ray and clovis you can even see his work and ‘try before you buy’

Bah that´s money he´d spend playing Fallout 4 anyway :wink:

3D animated feature film average cost per second : $24,156

Tv animations range 8K$ to 90K$ per minute.

source: http://getwrightonit.com/how-much-does-3d-animation-cost

Very expensive, but You can get cost down by using Mocap and OpenGL render engine, like the one in IClone, which We looked into recently and gives decent results!

For Our next project We are looking into Blender, Cycles on GPU, mocap, looking into Neuron at the moment, and We plan on using facial mocap as well.

But this is only the technical side of things, there is the matter of the story, no amount of technology can make up for bad story or bad development of that story!

Pixar quality: More than $1mio per minute.
Blender Institute quality (Cosmos Laundromat: First Cycle): €40.000 per minute

This is true xD

Only 24 Ningis? That’s a bargain (hate me, Larry)