How to achieve a "rapatronic" fireball effect seen with nuclear detonations?

Hello everyone, my first post on here, and I wasn’t sure if this was the right area for this question. I’m not new to blender, but I have had a pretty hard time trying to achieve this effect. In the first few milliseconds of a nuclear explosion, just before the shockwave breaks away from the fireball, you can see all of the vaporizing bomb debris, tower, shot cab, cables, etc. mottled on its surface as bright, glowing specks and orbs. So far, I have only seen one individual on YouTube nail this effect spot on, in my opinion, but when I have reached out to him to ask how this was achieved, he never responds. I figured I’d try my luck here and see if anyone could possibly give me some pointers on how this could be done. Thank you!

Blender video on YouTube I referenced.

Welcome!

If I had to do this effect, I wouldn’t use any simulation, they are just not built for this.

I would try using manually animated geometry with volumetric shaders and displacement modifiers for the larger pieces.

For the specks, I am not certain if it would work better to do it in the material or by placing particles on the object, but I could see both approaches working.

1 Like

You can do it in simulation, and you can do it in the same way as a video.