How to achieve Scleral Scatter?

(I apologise if this is the wrong place to post this, but it felt like the best fit)

I am currently trying to create a realistic eye and am stuck with something I can’t quite figure out how to achieve - Scleral Scatter:

It’s basically a clear arc of light you get when the eye gets light from the side (in the sclera at the limbus).

I now created a very basic setup, far from final, just to see what the best structure for the eye is, and to experiment with shaders.

This is my current set-up.

Sclera
A sphere with a spherical gradient going from a sub scattered material to a glass material - “simulating” the transition from sclera to cornea.

Iris
Quick sculpt in ZBrush

And these are the results so far on a dummy sculpt:

And with a quick texture paint:

What I don’t know yet is what the best way to add the lens and how to achieve the scleral scatter in Blender.

I am also not sure if this is generally a good setup, so I’d be super thankful for feedback!

1 Like

Just a thought:

There is this definite “thickness” to the cornea where it connects with the sclera…

… you may be able to simulate this by just making your cornea wider than the iris in your model?

Good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks for the input! I played with that already but it didn’t really make any difference when I tried different approaches on creating that thickness.

I think my main issue is how to actually set up the subsurface scattering properly. At least I played around some more with it and it feels like I’m getting there (I think). Sadly it only works on its own right now, I can’t get it to work when it’s placed in a character.

@ChrisJones

also, from the anatomy pic the surrounding area around the iris should be tilted inward (concave), you seem to have it tilting along the eyeball (convex).

That may help?

It actually is concave, may just appear convex on the screenshot!

1 Like

Apologies for the quick-and-dirty nature of the following but it is just to show the proof of concept:

… the outer part is just PBR with lots of smoothness and max transmission.

The inner part shown below just has a really sharp and pronounced “lip”… and that seems to create the shadow conditions you’re after…
… i’ve noticed that any sort of beveling reduces the visual effect quite a bit so it helps to keep the transition “sharp”.

Donno if that helps, sorry.

2 Likes

See if this helps:

3 Likes

Thank you all for the answers!!

@ChrisJones I browsed through your Human Progress and am absolutely amazed by what you are doing. Definitely going to take a look at your setup!

I will create a new thread in WIP and keep the progress updated :slight_smile:

1 Like