How to add a bone to an existing bone group?

In Pose mode, if I want to add a bone to, say, the “LeftArm” bone group, I select the bone, press CTRL+G and click “Add Selected to Bone Group”; but instead of producing a list of bone groups to choose from, this simply adds a new bone group (“Group”) with the selected bone in it. There seems to be no difference between what “Add Bone Group” does and what “Add selected to Bone Group” does. How do I simply add a bone to an existing bone group?

Have you defined bone groups in the armature panel, under Bone Groups? “Add Bone Group” creates a new bone group and adds that bone(s) to the group under a generic bone group name - ‘Groups’, ‘Groups.001’, etc… If you have a bone group created, and it’s selected in the bone groups panel, then ‘Add Selected to Bone Group’ does what it implies, it adds the selected bone to the current bone group.

Actually, playing with it, that appears to be a bug. It doesn’t actually add selected to bone group, but creates a new bone group, which it shouldn’t do, AFAIK… So select the bone, and in the bone groups panel, use the assign button to assign the bone to the bone group… You should probably report this as a bug, shortcut in the help menu in the header… It’s a simple process, not that hard of a thing to do, so please do so. It’s the only way a developer will know there is a problem and can fix it…

Randy

Thanks revolt_randy – it’s good to know there’s another way to do it! I’ll report it. Here’s another problem: shouldn’t I be able to put a bone into more than one bone group? I’m not sure about that. It seems that putting a bone into another group takes it out of the group that it’s in…