How to animate cracks forming?

Something like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO2fj9r5Rck&ab_channel=ChevyThompson at 0:11 the cracks form at the force of the ball.

Except it will be much slower - like ice cracks in multiple steps and finally breaks.

So far I was able to find disintegration or explosion videos using cell fracture, particle systems - where cracks are already there. But not a video on showing how cracks are forming.

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated. :blush:

Additional Information (Optional):
This is part of an overall effect.

Fluid A is thick, viscous and slow fluid. Fluid B is free flowing golden-ish liquid.
Fluid B flows in with a bit of turbulence > attacks the Fluid A with force/impact > Fluid A solidifies and forms cracks > Fluid B flows inside the Fluid A that has now formed cracks/fractures > the increased pressure of the Fluid B flowing inside the fractured Fluid A - disintegrates the Fluid A > Fluid A converts to particles and flies away

basically you need to transition from the original mesh to it’s fractured version.
but unlike your example where it’s done in one frame you do the same but in a few steps.

In some cases you can use a texture instead of the fracture.

And the transition can be made in different way, you can do two renders and mix them in a compositing software, or do it right in 3D …

Good luck !

1 Like

You can use the hook modifier to specify some verts hooked to empties assign some vertex groups and animate away…

Hope that helps

1 Like

Hey,

Thank you for your response. If possible, can you elaborate on the steps you have mentioned? I’m relatively new to blender so would require more context. :sweat:

Warm regards,
Shaili

For this part:

You could use the cell fracture addon included with blender:

Here I used the cell fracture to break a cube. Then I used cell fracture again on the results from the first fracture.

Not sure how I would do the fluid part. Obviously use the fluid sim, but I’m not experienced with that.

Randy

You could do this with the “AnimAll” addon, built in to Blender. It allows you to animate the position of vertices. Very manual, but you can have more control over how the cracks appear.

crackgen.zip (116.1 KB

Yeah, look up hooks, they enable per vertex animation.

or have a look at this geonode.

all depends on what effect you are after looks wise.

Hope that helps.

1 Like