How to bake a shape onto a plane to create texture?

So I’m trying to create a seamless texture by baking the beehive shape onto the black color plane, but I don’t know exactly how. (first image)

Ultimately I want to create a seamless alpha texture and a seamless normal map that looks like the second image.

Is there any way I can create this texture with 3D shapes in blender?

Take a look at the Grabdoc addon: https://blendermarket.com/products/grabdoc

Welcome!

Yes, this is possible. Once you have your texture fully modeled, the most effective way to output it would be to render it using an ortographic camera.

1- Create a camera, set all it’s rotations to 0 so it points downward.

2- Set it to ortographic mode and adjust its “ortographic scale” in the camera settings so it covers your exact plane. If you have given your plane an easy number (like 2m x 2m), it’s going to be easy to adjust the camera, as the number will be the same.

3- If your texture doesn’t contain any lighting, you will probably want to set the color management to standard, so the colors of the texture are preserved as well as possible. Agx and Filmic are great for rendering scenes with lighting, but they alter the colors a bit in the process.

4- Now, you can render and get the texture. Be sure to check the “filter size” setting (in the render settings, “film” tab), as it controls the blurriness of the anti-aliasing.

For the normal map, you will first need to bevel the borders. Normal maps store only angle information, not depth, so what you have right now would give you a blank normal map.

Once that is done, you can render it by setting the render engine to “workbench” and using the normal map matcap in the render settings. You will need to set the color management to standard for this, as other modes would change the colors and make a wrong result.

Thank you very much for your reply!
I did successfully create the alpha and normal map without using a camera, but maybe your method can produce a better result, I’ll try it out.

1 Like

Looks interesting, I’ll try it out!

Looks interesting, I’ll try it out.

If you can use a camera, it might indeed give a higher quality result, because Blender’s baking system doesn’t support anti-aliasing.

The rendering does, and has the filtering setting I mentionned as well. Just be aware, the filtering means each pixel samples a bit wider than its own size, so your texture mesh will need to actually extend/repeat outside the camera to avoid seams at the borders.

But, I imagine that using the baking system could give a good enough result depending on what you are doing and it’s a bit easier to setup.