How to Cleanly Fracture Complex Objects

Ever get some nasty results from cell fracturing an object? :

Find out why that happens, and how to edit topology to get clean results the first time.

The copy attributes add-on can be found here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/3D_interaction/Copy_Attributes_Menu

I hope that helps!
Jonathan

Good tut. Very well done. Thanks

very helpful. one tip, if your loop tool messes up like on the spout, go into the operator panel (F6) and you can adjust the twist amount so the bridge lines up properly

Thanks guys, more on the way! And thanks for the tip Small Troll, I completely forgot about that.

Thanks for the tutorial , you did spend too much time optimizing the teapot. you can optimize it in 4-5 steps

Separating the handle vertex, select the vertex v move it just a hair then p separate by loose parts
Triangles on the lid and bottom, ctrl+r loop cut right at the center vertex then delete the center vertex
Select one part then add solidify modifier
Select all , ctrl+c copy modifiers
Finally fracture the whole thing

Thanks Ramboblender,
I did not use the solidify modifier because it gives undesirable results on the lid, pot, and spout, and I wanted the handle to be one solid piece. With the triangles at the bottom, you would need to merge all and Alt-J convert to quads anyway to not have a hole in the bottom.

Of course there are defferent ways to optimize it, i guess you do it the way it fit your needs