How to control quick fur placement with a vertex group?

Lets say I have a shirt that does not have a uv map and has an inside and an outside vertex group.

How do I use the vertex group with the new geometry nodes based quick fur to limit the fur to only the outside?

I find the easiest way to manage hair sims with geometry nodes is to copy object with hair and use separate geometry node. then separate using vertex group as selection input

Hi thinsoldier,

You have to create a UV Map for the shirt if you’re just using the nodegroups from the Quick Fur opperator without any modifications.

You can use them as the Density Mask in the Interpolate Hair Curves nodegroup:

3 Likes

Why do you need a UV map to paint on more hairs in curve sculpt mode? Why does it fail if there are overlapping UVs?

I’m not a Blender Dev and rarely have anything to do with Hair in Blender so take this with a grain of salt.

The hairs and the mesh are separate objects so you need some way to make the hairs stick onto the mesh surface. Considering that the mesh of a character for example will get distorted quite a lot during animation, using UV mapping is probably the most consistent way to have the hair always on the same place (i guess?).

Imagine scattering some hair on a 1 by 1 grid (or the UV map). Wherever the hair particles are on that map you know directly where to put them on the mesh by interpolating the Face Corner positions (like with an image texture). However if the UV islands overlap, the positions of the hair particles are no longer unambiguous → should the particles now be placed on Mesh Island #1 or #2?