How to correctly light a texture painted scene?

I am going to try a fully texture painted scene.

However I am confused how I should LIGHT the scene?

If I am painting in the highlights and shadows then all my lighting will look weird when the camera angle changes.

I am assuming I need to paint an “albedo” type texture then convert it to a bump so the light catches it correctly?

How do professionals do it? How would you make cracks and dents without painting highlights?

If you are just rendering a still frame or an animation without changing lighting, it doesn’t really matter does it? You can just paint the highlights.

I assume you would paint it in in a texture painting software which lets you paint directly in the normal channel.

Even if you slightly tilt your head while looking at an object the highlights and shadows change according to your angle of vision.

I will have a camera moving around the scene, The lighting will not move but surely the highlights and shadows would need to adapt to the angle of the viewer.

Yeah, but if you want to paint texture maps, the way i understood it, i would assume you are making a stylized scene, so realism is secondary.
Regardless, if you really need normal maps, you need to either convert them from the albedo or paint them, ideally in substance painter or similar software. Otherwhise you may want lo look into krita which can apparently paint normal maps.

Yes I would like to highlights and shadows to be as realistic as possible in a texture painted scene.

So I guess I need to do my best painting and “albedo” map without shadows and highlights and then convert that to a bump map.

I was just curious if this is the way professionals do it?

I believe you can paint multiple properties at the same time in painter, so a professional would build a material and just paint on the model with the albedo and normal at the same time.