How to create a 3rd-person camera system in UPBGE 3x?

I normally parent a camera to a player object so that it follows around with the player. But in certain games, you can actually move backwards and the camera does not face the back of the player, like in Zelda.

I would like to replicate this kind of camera system that Zelda uses for it’s 3rd person games, but I don’t know where to start…

Here is one possible way.

very simple, in 1 picture … if this bird wants to travel the world, the cage has to travel the world :smiley:

cage = collision box with Character physics you will move and rotate to go where you want to go
bird = Armature of your character, parented to the cage, no physics, that will simply face the direction your cage is going. The Armature doesn’t move, just rotate. Ofc, you can animate the armature location shift a bit to simulate accelerations, but the armature has to stick inside the cage

Press up,left,down, right → Armature = 0° -90°, -180° , 90° … ! better to have that in Quaternion because down to right and right to down will behave silly with Euler