How to create pre-rendered backgrounds for 2D games.

I’m extremely new to 3D and blender but can create basic models so far.

However my goal is to be able to create 2D pre-rendered backgrounds, specifically for the 2D Oddworld games. These have to fit to a “grid” in order for them work properly in the game (otherwise the floors and ledges are in funny positions).

Getting the scale to look right and aligning anything to the grid is a nightmare and seems impossible so far, any help at all is appreciated :(.

I’m not sure I get 100% what you looking for, but if you hit “d” and > “Display” you can setup your grid size, scale, subdivisions…etc. I suppose you could load your grid image in the background (again hit “d” > “background images”) then hit “5” on the keypad to turn off perspective view. Scale the background to match your grid as best you can. To snap your selections to the grid, hold Ctrl. (such as moving an object or verts…etc)

Thanks for the tips! :slight_smile:

This allowed me to easily mock up what the scene outline/shape should be, solid:

Wire frame:

Render:

What I can’t figure out is how to get the camera to match up? If you look at my render VS the image I’m trying to copy its completely misaligned. Also I used orthographic camera which doesn’t seem right? The perspective seems wrong as the bottom platform in the reference image has depth and you can see the mines resting on it, my render looks “flat”?