How to determine an axis... between two moves?!

Hello guys !

Tricky question today : Is it possible to simply deduce an axis of rotation from a mesh displacement ?
!

Flaps Motion|512x500

I have this aircraft flaps, it’s fowler type, meaning they booth deploy angle down AND extract aft of the wing trailing edge to increase it’s surface.

I’s made using simple single mono rail guides and worm gear.

The thing is … it must go from FLAPS A to FLAPS B position, using a rotation around a definite axis with an imaginary circle of a radius of X units … ( the monorail guides being of this radius ).

I’m completely lost, here is an attempt, using circles passing by both sides of flaps, using their center to create an axis and a radius, but obviously it doesn’t work … any ideas ?

Flaps Motion.blend (2.1 MB)

Cheers,

Hueyman

You either need three points to determine a center and radius of rotation, or you need two points and either a known radius or a known angle between those points.

These points have to be the product of only rotation. If there is translation or scaling or something, you can’t figure out what is due to rotation and what is due to something else.

If you have three corresponding points representing a rotation in a single axis, or two and can tell me the radius, or two and can tell me the angle, I can tell you the center and radius of rotation-- I can even give you a rig that computes this for you automatically. But if those points involve anything other than rotation, and you can’t tell me exactly what they involve, down to the specific numbers, then I can’t tell you anything, and neither can anyone else.

Thank you sir ! I sorted that one out, by trial and error … it was actually a complex motion of both displacement AND rotations, along rails with various radius, so couldn’t solve this with a simple axis…