How to disable alpha channel on a texture in Solid shading mode?

in 2.8, i have a principled BSDF shader using a base colour texture that contains an alpha channel. In the viewport I am working in Solid shading mode, and using the Texture for colour. The alpha channel is NOT plugged into the alpha of the material.
The problem is that the alpha channel of the texture is behaving like an alpha clip and making the texture either 100% opaque or 100% transparent. The material is set to Blend Mode Opaque, tho I don’t think that setting is even for the solid shading viewport. How can I disable the alpha channel in solid shading mode?

cheers

did you ever get this to work? I am experiencing the same thing with a BSDF with emission / alpha / color for 3 maps, if i detach the alpha it works in solid, if i attach alpha, i only can work in material preview mode,

to compensate i just use the albedo + emissions in solid, and then for alpha stuff i wait till the end and deal with it, which kinda stinks but for low poly stuff its ok… don’t really use too much transparency so i just make it solid blue and later on i’ll swap the maps and deal with it.

did you ever figure out the right way to get solid to show the alpha or ignore it?

Hi guys :smiley: did anyone figure this out yet?

As a dirty workaround, I duplicate the texture that has alpha, set it to single user, and set the alpha to None.

In shader editor, Image Iexture node has an alpha output.
You can directly plug it into alpha setting of principled shader to obtain correct result in material preview.

Display of Alpha in Texture Solid shading mode only depends on Alpha Mode setting of Image.

So, None gives no transparency.
Channel Packed and Straight gives an alpha clipped transparency.
Premultiplied gives an alpha blended transparency.

Texture Solid mode can only support one image per material.
When you have ability to paint in Material preview mode for an EEVEE or Cycles render, that does not really make sense to take care of alpha channel in Texture Solid mode.

What I do i make a 2nd image with no alpha channel, add it to the material but don’t connect the node to anything. The currently selected image node is what gets shown in solid textured viewport mode. Use the one with an alpha channel as part of the node network and use the one without an alpha channel to get a good preview in solid shaded view.