How to do decimate correctly?

I have a high poly mesh of a fence.

I want to simplify the geometry and leave the depth of the scratches
I tried using decimate
But my shadow looks very bad

How can I simplify the model and make a good shadow?

This looks like the kind of model that should decimate easily. I can think of a few things.

• I see the model has a data transfer modifier. Could it be in cause? What happens if it’s turned off?

• Maybe you just decimated too much. As good as decimate is, there is a limit to what an automated modifier can do.

• Is the model shaded smooth? That could cause some shading problems with a heavily decimated model, those triangles aren’t going to like a smooth shading. You could try putting a β€œweighted normals” modifier on the object. It can help that kind of case, it ensures the shading from the curved parts of an object doesn’t leak on the flat areas.

• If you truly need a low poly model, you might have to manually create a clean low-poly model and bake the detail to a normal map.

1 Like

Hi there,
Just wanted to mention @etn249’s last tip.

If your mesh is really high poly like thousands or tens of thousands of faces, another thing you can do is this:

Add two cubes and make them the same size (a mm bigger maybe), and scale them, place them the same place.

Then add bevels (1-2 narrow level is OK).

Then add a subdiv modifier and after that a shrinkwrap modifier (to shrink to the hi poly meshes).

The catmul clark subdiv level will be your precision marker basically. The more you go up, the better it will follow the original surface.

Guess you can stop at lvl 1-2, then apply modifiers, and as mentioned, bake the rest onto the low poly.

This way the geometry will be low poly, and clean.

Also, repeat with the cylinders.

Cheers!