How to exclude specific object from reflecting in specified other object?

Hej,
I know how to keep objects freom being reflected at all, but I just want to exclude a specific object from the reflections of another object.
Example: Two floor planes A + B, reflective material on both. Above a sphere and a cube. Now I want the cube to be reflected in both planes (A+B), but the sphere to be reflected only in plane B.
Is this even possible in Blender? All ways I found are more or less global an can’t be restricted to single objects… but I’m relatively new to Blender, so there is a good chance I’m missing something.

As far as I know the only way would be rendering 2 scenes one with the specific object and one without then using the compositor to mix the 2 images with the “mirror” object as mask.

Here is an example, I made a full copy of the scene and in the scene with all the objects I set the vertical mirror to holdout in the outliner.
In the other scene I deleted the cube (and unchecked the holdout of the mirror)

Then in the compositor used the Alpha over node to mix the 2 images so the vertical mirror only reflects the monkey and not the cube, but the horizontal mirror reflects both.

Comp.blend (149.7 KB)

Hej, thanks!
I did it more or less in this way, but the actual scene is way more complex.This is because of an unsuitable setup in the first place.
Next time I will be prepared. :smiley:

1 Like