How to export high quality with ffmpeg ?

i need to export an animation with audio, so i use th effmpeg format , but then i have to choose another format for the video , i’ve chosen , avi , dix , mpeg2 , i puted 6000 in bitrate , but i get a very compressed output, could you give me a exporter settings to export a animation with audio with almost no loss of quality or no loss of quality at all ?

Is for a tv so , the better the quality better.

thanx.

Anyone ? everytime i export ffmpg it adds compression , is there a way to export audio and video with out or with very tlittle compression ?

you can choose avi as container and hufyuf as codec which is lossless.
this is normally the way i go. and then compressing it via virtualdub.

Then you have an AVI you can pass to your DVD burning software so you can finally see it on TV.

thanx man !

Thought I’d bump this in case anyone wants to continue the discussion.

If the end result is a DVD, coming out of Blender to a lossless compression doesn’t really help anything, does it? Before it goes to disc the video is going to be compressed to an mpeg-2 file regardless. The only question is whether you let the burning software do it, or you set it up yourself in Blender.

The only real advantage I can see to not writing mpeg-2 directly from Blender is if you intend to use a different compressor. Tmpgenc supposedly does a better job than ffmpeg and, of course there are commercial encoders, but it seems like you should be able to get very acceptable quality directly from Blender. 2.46 gives you pretty complete control over ffmpeg, so you could add b-frames, up the min. data rate, change the motion estimation scheme, etc.

I’d like to know what others are doing and why, since I’m working on video projects slated for DVD distribution.

I mentioned the lossless codec approach because you can not gaurantee that your burning software is not re-encoding the video again. Then you would have MPEG-2 being compressed to MPGE-2 again. This can causes a loss in quality. A lot of those cheap burning packages simply work that way.

But you are correct, if your burning software, such as NeroVision, recognizes that the file is already in the correct format, there is no reason to re-encode and it will simply burn the file as is.

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I’m using DVDStyler to burn the disks and I don’t think it’s doing any recompression. At least since I figured out a workaround for the bff/tff problem with Blender mpegs I’ve been happy with the reults. To be honest, though, the stuff that I’m working with at the moment isn’t that high quality to begin with. Mainly moving some old stuff from VHS to DVD.