How to get Freestyle to stroke an object inside a tansparent object?

Hi all!

So I have an object inside another object that is transparent and when I render it with Cycles/Freestyle I only get strokes on the objects outside of the transparent object. Apparently, Freestyle doesn’t understand the object is transparent. Is there a setting someplace to get Freestyle to stroke everything in my scene?

I missed with Freestyle in 2.76, but not that much and with the UI changes, I’m a bit lost as to where the Freestyle settings are.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Randy

Not really - you’re not going to get IOR effects or anything like that…

Best you can do is play with the Occlusion settings to force outlines for the object being occluded

but, like I said - you’re not going to get refraction being taken into account (object inside IOR 1.45 transparent cube):
…which is a limitation.

You would need to apply the freestyle modifier and then convert the grease-pencil to a curve and give it some bevel with a black material to make it “physical” - then it will refract:

Good luck

Thanks for the reply!

Where is the Freestyle modifier? I didn’t see it anywhere in my file.

Actually, Freestyle acted a bit strange, almost buggy. It quit working on parts of my file, I had to append everything into a new file to get it to working again. To get the project done, I added in the glass part in Inkscape.

Here is the end result.

Randy

Apologies, I meant the Line Art modifier.

… also, apologies, I’m giving advice for Blender 3.x’s Grease-Pencil Line-Art modifier, so not relevant.

Sorry.

The settings are in the Render Properties at the bottom…
to render edges inside a transparent object…change under Visibility > Type to Quantitative Visibility…

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/freestyle/view_layer/freestyle.html

and there is this on Stack Exchange that explains a bit better…
https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/9425/render-freestyle-strokes-behind-objects-with-alpha-transparency

1 Like