How to get the notes from music (the sound kind)

lol, Yea i wanted to figure out what the notes were to this song (the Battlefield 1942 theme) but i don’t know what that would be called (if i did i could just google) so anyway, does anyone know what this is called?

You could try out these “wav to mid” or “mp3 to mid” converters. Just google it.

You can read the notes of the .mid file with Anvil Studio, Cakewalk or some other composing program.

Does anyone know what this is called so i can just google "Battlefield 1942 x (x= Whatever it’s called to get the notes either through software or just listning)

@BeBraw: How could a wav possibly be made a midi and still remain music?

@The first guy: Can you play any instuments?

Well, let see, each frame will have a peak height, the height will be recorded then converted to midi, a midi is then loaded with certain instrument that play the notes.

Well, let see, each frame will have a peak height, the height will be recorded then converted to midi, a midi is then loaded with certain instrument that play the notes

nope wont work.

The only way you can do it is by taking an inturment and figuring it out yourself.

Try ‘tablature’ or ‘score’.

Finale does it, so I heard. And Sonar from Cakewalk. Some music software has plugins to score the notes from MIDI “switches”.
If you are rich, a Synclavier would do the job…and make you coffee…lol

If you search for “midi file” and “battle…” you’ll be searching for related midi files.
If you don’t know what that is, it’s a collection of bits and bytes knowing only the location of the notes it has to play, what instrument on the internal synth it has to play and effects such as velocity, arpeggio, simple delay etc.

The file can go up to 100k so that shouldn’t be a prob for any bandwidth.

With a midi editing prog you can listen to each singletrack on the midi file and assign vst synths to it and have some real fun.

If you can play music and read notes you can search for “score” “notes” “noten” (German, Dutch,…) “sheet music” “Partiture”.

I tried mp3 to midi before, and it’s bollocks if there’s more than one track at a time.
Forget about strings, if it doesn’t detect “on” and “off” in the melody or a sound with a clear attack it won’t register anything.
P

Why isn’t there any opensource program that can do this already ? I see alot of midi crap for linux, even flashy screensavors that is affected by the music. They got wave to be recognize but they can’t take the heighest point of each wave and convert them to midi notes ?

Just taking the high point of each wave won’t work because a particular note is defined by the frequency of multiple waves and not the amplitude. A wav to midi converter would have to find where the frequency changes a significant enough amount to place a note change. There are wav to midi converters, but they probably either don’t work very well, or only support one instrument (or even voice) at a time.

I would try to find a musically trained friend or person that could pick out the certain parts for you unless you can do it yourself.

Well, couldn’t it be made so you could edit out the notes.

I have done this but it is relatively difficult for the following reason:

If you have one instrument playing solo on one track then it is easy because any given note can be sampled at its own frequency and then converted to the corresponding note for the duration it is played.
However, if you have say six instruments playing simultaneously, then it is the combined frequency that is sampled.
This leads to all sorts of imaginative notes being output.
A computer cannot hear an instrument per se . It can only hear frequency and duration.
If you overlay even only two simultaneous sine waves with only a small phase shift and add them together, you get something that looks totally different from the original.

This is the same for music.

When you open up a wave editing program, you are looking at the resultant sine wave from the combined frequencies of multiple instruments.
We use a program here called Logic Audio Platinum that has a feature on it to convert wav to score. But it is useless if the score is too complex as it takes as much or more work to edit the score it puts out as it does to create it in the first place.

If you sent the file to me, I could try it but it might not work.

http://www.tablatures.tk/download.php?id=MzcxMDE=&page=1

Requires GuitarPro 4

Later,
–lir

Bingo. Even then, things like glissandos and tremolo will throw it off.

Still the best damn way to do it. Short of purchasing the score.

Single is fine with me, as long it comes with a source.