How to hide Windows 10 top bar?

Hi, I can’t find any option to hide the default Windows top bar, with the software name.
Going fullscreen in Blender hides it, but it also hides the windows toolbar on the side, which I don’t want.

I wanted the same thing, but sadly it seems that there is no such feature. Maybe there is a separate utility that hides title bars, but with Blender alone, the only thing that there is to go to the full-screen mode. I know that it is not a perfect solution, because we need to see the task bar, but there is not a better option.

1 Like

blender_2020-02-04_17-47-41

1 Like

I am away from Windows for some time now, but I remember that there was a theming framework called “Blinds” ( comes with a cost) available. Maybe you want to search for that.
It’s a pitty that a system like Windows doesn’t allow much personalistion. But then again there are good reasons to not do it…

1 Like

Good reasons not to do it

I think it is probably just the old legacy, not that it should be this way. Windows was made when computer monitors were 4:3 and small. The amount of wasted screen space by the empty area of the title bar was probably negligible back then. But now, the screen is very large and wide. A lot of space is wasted for little function (drag from title bar to restore/ double-click title bar to restore, both of which can be achieved in other ways).

Anyway, if you use Linux, there is a solution. For Gnome, there is an add-on that hides the title bar when the window is maximised. The good thing is that the system top bar works like the title bar, so that I can drag from the system title bar to restore the window. For KDE Plasma, I think there is a feature to hide the title bar natively. The problem is that Plasma has no system top bar, so when the title bar is hidden, I cannot drag from title bar to restore the window. So, for this, Gnome is better.

1 Like

ALT F11 work for me on linux and windows i think. I use the 27x keyboard mapping.
I often use this function for video mapping with projector .

I agree with that. Yet, there are some points…
Disclaimer:
All of the following is not written in the sense of an OS war or shall give thirdparty the opportunity to turn it in such thing.

OK? Well then…
Recent versions ( and so the devs) of Microsoft’s OS are certainly aware of the display sizes they are dealing with. They aren’t that dumb.
The thing is that Windows is the OS driving most of the machines out there which have to be operated by people who’s core job isn’t related to computers at all.
Think about nurses who got a little introduction into Office and shall deal with ( the admittedly much less anoying non ribbon interface of) LibreOffice, just because the new workplace deals that way.
With no customization comes also no irritation.
Of course all of this is out of the question for tech savy people like us. We like digging_ into dot/rc files.
But with it comes fragmentation. And that us what’s holding back the long proclaimed “Year of the Linux desktop”.
While it’s “ease” and possibility of customisation is a dream fir you and me. It gives “normies” a shiver.

Thanks everyone for the answers. It’s a shame Windows doesn’t offer this customisation, but I’ll try to get used to the fullscreen mode then.

@skuax I heard about this hotkey but it doesn’t work for me. I’ll try looking in the keymaps to see if I find anything similar.

Fullscreen mode under window menu does remove the titlebar but it also takes away the taskbar. The taskbar is quick to get back by pressing the windows key on the keyboard when you need it.

1 Like

In 2.79 it was in view menu. If I remember well.

I opened Blender 2.79 to test and the alt+F11 shortcut is the same as setting Blender 2.8 to fullscreen, it hides the taskbar.

Hey, pressing the windows key is a good enough workaround, I’ll mark it as a solution for me. Thank you.

To hide top bar just use this autohotkey script:

;-Caption
LWIN & LButton::
WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, A
return
;

;+Caption
LWIN & RButton::
WinSet, Style, +0xC00000, A
return
;

you could download autohotkey from here http://www.autohotkey.com/download/. Save the file with a extension .ahk and run it like any application.

Usage:

to remove the title bar LWindowButton + Left click

to restore the title bar LWindowButton + Right click

To make the toolbar thinner:
https://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

2 Likes
View post on imgur.com