How to insert material keyframes under an action

I can see the material keyframes on the timeline, but I can’t manage to put them under any action (they are also nowhere to be seen on the action editor) making it so that all the actions get their materials animated when I don’t want this to happen:

When I’m done with an action I’m always turning them into NlaTracks and exporting them to Godot, so 1 NlaTrack = 1 Godot animation. That means I need the material keyframes to be under the action, but I can’t manage to do that.

I’ve tried the solution of this topic but even when changing the id root type for action nothing seems to happen:

I’ve tried object, armature, and action, but nothing changes:

I can’t manage to put it in the same NlaTrack or action as my animation, but I need to do it for exporting as a single animation in Godot

You can create a custom property on a suitable bone within your rig. You can then use that property as a driver to control the value in the material.

Whether that will survive an export to Godot is another question. I don’t know how blender-aware Godot is. It will depend of whether the exporter will also add the changing material value (as part of the material).

1 Like

Thank you, I had no clue how to use drivers and custom properties but for anyone trying to do the same as me but in Blender instead of Godot I recommend this video. Do the same as in the video but create the custom property on the bone that will control the material property (color, roughness, etc.). Just be careful when copying the custom property copy it as a driver and paste it as a driver, not as shown in the video.

It works pretty well on Blender but looks like the Blender addon I’m using to export does not support drivers or custom properties, or both, I don’t know. Your answer made it work on Blender, now I’ll search for how to export it properly, thanks.