How to make a "continuous" texture between meshes?

Hi there!

I have a problem I have not been able to solve for quite some time: As it is possible to see in the image, I have two meshes. Both these meshes have the same shader, and I want one mesh to have a continuation of the shader that finishes on the first mesh.

Even dabbling manually with the UVs, I am not able to make a continuous shader. What is my best approach?

Did you mean the continuation of the texture? they have the same shader, right? Are they the same Object (2 meshes in 1 object)?

Is the UV island between those two meshes connected and contained inside the UV space?

btw, i think those discontinuations of the texture is more realistic IF it was created using 2 different wood plank in real life.
And if it was supposed to be a continuous wood, why not it also be created using the same meshes in 3D and hiding the UV seams somewhere else.

1 Like

I also think they would not match up in real life…

If you want them matched, select both meshes and go into edit mode. Select all of those two boards and align them in the UV layout.

But you have a tileable texture… do you? So if you don’t want to have any repeatition one the complete sides then you alos have to somekind of mix some inebetween-the-edges-extra texture to make it uniq… but also change the used area for every eddge…
…or you use a 3D- texture… but this measn the bed would be carved from out of one solid piece of wood…

But if you look for any reference for “simple wooden bed” then… this would (pun intended) be two pieces of boards… with naturally different graining…

Perhaps you could do something with this approach. Used shrinkwrap modifier to bend a textured plane around a ‘form’, then applied the modifier and cut the plane into two parts as shown. The texture appears continuous.

untitled.blend (849.9 KB)

You can just set the 1st board where you want the texture in the UV editor…make sure to add a seam on the corner if needed…
select the second board…right-click in the UV space and select flip x ( or y ) however the texture flows…

Stack the islands so that the corners meet…

Go old school and adjust them manually.