How to make a Rigify character bend at the hips?

When I have a character that I have rigged with the Rigify “Human (Meta-Rig)” metarig, how do I get the rigged character to bend forward at the hips?

In other words, I want the character to be able to bend forward at the hips so the body is in an “L” shape of sorts:

The “hips” bone just wiggles the hips; it doesn’t control the upper body at all. I don’t see any obvious sort of switch that would let the “hips” bone control the upper body.

The “chest” bone does pretty much what I want to do, where when you rotate it forward, all of the upper body moves with it. However, the location of the bend is not low enough; I want to do the same sort of action lower in the body.

(I don’t want to redo the metarig and move the spine bones down so the chest control bone is created lower, as the ability to bend at the midsection as the “chest” bone does is useful too.)

I’m thinking there has to be a way to easily do this, but I’ve been unable to figure out how. What am I missing?

You can do that with the main torso control.

Use that to get the main shape of the pose into place, then use the pelvis and chest controls (or the tweak controls) to help shape the pose to look good.

My first best guess, based on the screenshot above, is you are trying to animate the actual metarig and not generating the proper rig and animating that.

Here is what it looks like using the actual rig with the deform bones shown.

Thank you for the response, but where is the pelvis control? I can’t rotate the torso control (the rotation is locked) and I don’t see any pelvis control for some reason. When I show all of the bone layers, I can see ORG-pelvis.L, DEF-pelvis.L, ORG-pelvis.R, and DEF-pelvis.R, but none of those can be moved or rotated. I’ve attached an example .blend file below.

Rigify_rig.blend (836.1 KB)

Actually, I wrote an add-on that takes a metarig and converts it to a mesh (which looks identical to the metarig), which can then be rigged. So it looks like a metarig, but you can experiment with the actual rig. I’ve posted the .blend file with the rigged metarig in my response to magpie on this thread.

So if I understand correctly, its a metarig without the Rigify metarig rigging that you’ve done yourself and hence the reason you can’t rotate the torso control like my screen shot?

If so, then the reason it doesn’t work is because its not a Rigify rig and you need to fix the rig you have made over the top of it.

Unless I’m missing something here.

1 Like

The torso control wouldn’t normally have the rotation channels locked. You can easily unlock them in the item properties.

The control called hips is the one that I meant when I said pelvis.

Thanks for the clarification. I did try unlocking the rotation of the hips, but I could not rotate them…unless there’s something I’m missing. See the .blend file I attached to my previous post to you.

It’s actually a mesh that looks exactly like a metarig. And then that mesh has been rigged with Rigify. So it’s a bare bones (no pun intended) version of a “character” mesh that is using Rigify.

1 Like

sorry, no clever solution from me. But damn! That’s meta :smiley:

Your file Rigify_rig.blend has the torso rotation channels locked.
The hips bone has unlocked rotations, and I can rotate it without any issues.

1 Like

Ahh, ok, well it seems magpie found the issue, which isn’t the default rig generation from Rigify. Maybe at some point you locked the rotation and then forgot you did it?

Thank you, magpie. I swear I had tried unlocking the rotation of that before and it didn’t work, but, yes, this was the issue.

That was probably locked in the first place because of another add-on that I wrote that fires off the Rigify rigging (it’s a long story why I need this) apparently inadvertently locked this rotation. I’ll need to dig into my code and figure out why that’s happening, but I appreciate you providing the answer!

1 Like