How to make near perfect toon/stylized smoke with proper fade/disintegration in 2.9?

For anime style, I want to know how to make good-looking and flexible toon smoke. Something good-looking and flexible, so I can use it for other things, like landing or impact. I’ve seen some talking about it, but I don’t like the default fade so is there a way to have it disintegrate, for a lack of a better term.

Something like this

6ubFB

In blender 2.9 with the eevee engine.

I believe you could use a noise texture as a mask for the alpha channel of your material with a color ramp to sharpen the edges of the transition and animate the color ramp to make a transition from pure wite to pure black.

I think this could solve it. If you prefer, you can use other textures, like the voronoi if you prefer the cell shape of the texture, or any other.

Thanks I’ll give it a try.

Wait how do I give this to particles, wouldn’t that effect all of them rather than the ones at the end of their lifetime.

I need to check.

If you are using metaballs particles, I would convert the particles system to mesh when it reaches the moment when it should start do disappear and let some frames more scaling it up while I make it vanish the way I said before.

Thanks but I do have a question, is it possible to have the fade be directional, like having it fade from the top to bottom or vise versa?

Yes. Just mix the texture I said before with a gradient texture oriented in the direction you need. I am not sure about the mix mode you should use to mix the 2 textures, but that’s the way.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try when I get the chance.

KeyMesh, it’s time to shine.

That’s a different beast all together. I don’t even know how I would do that for this, but I do plan to play with it at some point.

This is fire, followed by smoke, I think that BNPR (there is a website) has a lot of stuff about that type of thing.

Also you could try a search at youtube for blender anime fire/smoke… for example,

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blender+anime+smoke

Something like this? I’m still trying to wrap my head around nodes.

1 Like

I made a video a while ago in an older version of Blender but the principle is the same. This might help you better understand how the textures work in the particle setup:

Yes, exactly. You just need to animate then the black slider of the coloramp node to make it disappear.

K, I’ll continue to mess with it to make it look better.

1 Like

Wow, I’m dumb, I read this comment but didn’t fully process what you meant. What I meant was while the particles were going up or end of their lifetime, they would simply vanish or shrink while I want them to fade or disintegrate. Is this even possible in eevee? If not, I’ll use your original idea.