How to make the scrunchy part of a curtain?

I’m trying to make the scrunchy bit on top, but I can’t seem to get the cloth to “scrunch”. I made a dense tube for the curtain part, then set it around a curtain rod, then tried using two additional collision objects around the sides to force it to collapse, and also tried contracting the pin group with shape keys, but the deformations I am getting aren’t quite like they should be. There is no accordian-like quality.
scrunchy

I got a little closer using the cloth brush. Maybe the trick is to do the sim after sculpting it. I’ll see what happens…

Try one of these:

2 Likes

Useful lessons, but they leave off the top bit. I am getting closer little by little though.

1 Like

The latest attempt…
scrunchy3

1 Like

This seems close enough for me…

2 Likes

Away from my computer, so can’t try this, but I have an idea. Place your cylinder vertically, with a collision plane at the base. Run a cloth sim on the cylinder. (In my head) this allows the cylinder to fall down and scrunch up. Find a frame where the cylinder has scrunched satisfactorily and apply the cloth mod. Rotate back to horizontal.

1 Like

I actually tried that at one point, and the initial result seemed promising but I wasn’t able to get it quite right.

I’m not sure how I’d model it off the top of my head, but after a little bit of research, I found that it’s commonly called a “heading” in the industry. (I believe the particular style you are looking for is known as “casing” ) Hopefully, that’ll make searching for references and tutorials a bit easier. Good luck!

2 Likes

The “scrunchy” parts shape is related to how the curtain is folded, here there is way too much folds compared to the curtains in themselves.

Maybe you can try to model the curtain like this before running the simulation :

And then let everything just fall down.

Another trick could be to keep two shape keys, one for the curtains with cloth sim,
and for the scruchy parts use more a displace to a cleverly modeled array, in order to add randomness to the pattern.

From there you mix both shapes to get a good result…

Good luck !

3 Likes

Maybe this tutorial can help you.

2 Likes

Thanks and welcome to BA!

1 Like