How to make this material

How would I go about making this material in the Shade editor? I’ve tried multiple ways and im stuck. Any info would be helpful.

The Primary problem is the wood like lines in the object. I’m able to do the color and fuzziness.

It would benefit us greatly if you would post your various attempts, and maybe a Blend file …

There you go.

The two attempts can be seen when you look at the materials for the top piece.

ESDChisledFlux.blend (4.3 MB)

It depends how close you want it? Does it need to just be passable at a distance - or are you going to zoom in close?

The shader editor will only get you so far. You have to remember that most cycles shaders are made to simulate surface effects (glass, metal, plastic etc). The volumetric shaders simulate scattering and absorption.

This material is fibrous - and as such, it’s not really possible to recreate this material using shader nodes in isolation.

If you want something really accurate for up close work - you may be better off trying to recreate the actual fibrous material physically - perhaps using a hair particle system.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking a look.

I’m making this object to use for a website. It doesn’t need insane detail, but needs a light amount so it doesn’t look out of place. The render with be taken from the current camera angle in the file.

I was going to add the hair particles, but I assumed I would need to get the right displacement first before I started adding the hairy details. Not sure if I’m right about that though.

You could just model the whole thing using hairs. Might be easier.

I have never tried something like that before. Do you have a tutorial you can share?

Not really - but there are a few on YouTube that might help. This is what came up when I searched for “felt tip pen” (which is what your reference image seems to look like)

1 Like

Thank you for the videos! I’ll check them out.

There is also:

…and some other… also pointing to that one…

The videos you sent me ended up very helpful! The hair particle system was just what I needed. Thank you for this!

2 Likes