How To Make UVs Loop Seamlessly?

So, I’m working for a model on a game, and the texture does loop seamlessly, but the UV’s do not. What is the best way to fix it?

Textures tile from the borders of the 1:1 UV space. You would never be able to tile that texture with your current unwrap. You’d be better off to use box/spherical UV projection.

1 Like

This is why characters usually have their own texture maps, where things are painted to fit onto them perfectly.

For characters, you always want a decent UV layout if you want to pose. With a good UV layout, then proceed to either paint/stencil in the texture onto a new texture, or some kind of trickery like box mapping which you then bake down to a new texture.

Unfortunately, I do not have the skill to create realistic fur texture at the moment, so texture painting would not work.

no homeboy, you paint that fur texture onto the model after unwrapping it properly.

Check it, i literally did this earlier today for Jeff Bezos head.

you use that nice texture of fur you got as the texture for your paint brush and you stamp it onto your proper UVs for the character.

and, no seam, cause you’re using blenders texture paint function and painting in your 3d viewport. Its a godsend.

and uh… ignore the ears. When you’re making a tiny animation in less than a day, you can be lazy with things people will never see.

LOL No shame. So, how do you set that fur texture as your paintbrush?

go to the texture paint tab, make a new image texture to paint on, (after you’ve set up your UVs nice) then you press N in the viewport (while in texture paint mode if you accidentally switched out). On the default brush you can go down to the texture dropdown, add a new texture, go to the texture pocket on the right side over there, and it’ll be all “image or movie?” but its gonna be blank. Keep it as that, but select your image texture from wherever you keep it. And then you can just start painting it on.

There’s also some really cool stuff you can do with projection mapping, and using two UV maps to paint an image onto a better UV map, which is what I did with Jeff, but that shouldnt be necessary right now for your project. If you are doing it in the future, this guy named “CGMatter” has some really nice concise tutorials on projection mapping.

before you know it, you got space bezos drifting through money.

Hey, thanks! This helped a LOT. Only issue atm is that when I paint, the color of my texture seems to be slightly off?

Does it seem faded? if so try turning the strength up on the brush.
If it seems like it has a tint, your color wheel there may not be at 100% white, or you could also be in a different blend mode potentially.

After some tinkering around, I finally got it to work. Thank you SO MUCH for the help. Couldn’t have done it without you. We need more people like you in the community!

1 Like

Aww, thanks buddy! Glad it all worked out!