How to match mesh to material or texture

Hi, i’ve been doing some texturing lately and i can’t achieve one particular effect. When i bought, that one asset from unity store, it had some beautiful planks, they looked very rustic, weathered and real - even when zoomed in. What i found out, that even though mesh could be considered, as low poly all important crevices and edges matched actual texture, and together with normal map it gave really convincing effect. Now, my question is, can I somehow achieve this without photo-scanning? I tried just to sculpt sexy looking piece of wood and throw some texture at it but, even with help of substance painter it never gives this matching feel. Next thing i tried, was sculpting after texturing, but you can’t do this with dyntopo and when sculpting with over 300k tris in material mode my pc ain’t happy.

Maybe i can’t name it, but i couldn’t find any topics or tutorials touching this exact problem, any help would be appreciated.

The texture look good even with less vertex count because of texture maps such as normal, bump, height, displacement.

Firstly find a video for how these maps work if you are new to it.

You create one in blender itself. Follow the tutorial below to create one from scratch

If you already have a texture and want to create a normal map or other map for it I recommend you to use software called “Materialze” just watch this video https://youtu.be/vtnJToPxBNo

and check my portfolio if you like.

Have a good day.

Thank You for reply Shaibaz_Sayyed I’m really grateful that You tried to help me, but unfortunately it’s not what i meant. I’m well aware of mentioned maps and i know of possibility of creating materials from textures. Problem is that no matter how good wood material i have, if i just throw it at cube or sphere it won’t look natural or realistic. Shape of an object has to be similar to what it represents. If i would want to create fresh planks that just came out from sawmill - sure, that would be easy, because they are almost perfect cuboids, but in case of aged, rustic planks without custom textures they just don’t look right and i can’t find an answer how to achieve this matched look. Some people did it though, so it’s possible.

I’m not native English speaker, so maybe i’m not explaining things clear enough, if so, maybe i should attach some screenshots?

1 Like

check for tutorials from Polygon Runaway

Did you ever figure out a good way to do this? I started with this today and found the knife tool helped, I simply made a cut on the edge of the cylinder, then Extruded the face out just a tiny bit afterwards. This got the idea started. Perhaps there’s some way to combine tools once I get further in. A plugin that kinda pelts the object like a hailstorm would be nice.