How to model a silver coin?

I’m trying to use “Image Texture” to create a coin that have the image of saint George just like this image:
auco14144

After watching some youtube tutorials, that’s the best result I can get:

Would you help me to achieve the result that I want, please?

Well first off, you need to activate windows, so go do that right away! :stuck_out_tongue:

you’re going to need the depth information to use the displacement node, that drawing isn’t going to give the appropriate information for the displacement node to do anything useful with it.

Check out this thread on generating a normal map from a coin:

1 Like

Coins don’t really have a great deal of depth to the surface, so you might get away with using a normal map instead of displacement unless you’re going for super close macro type shots in final render.

I created an image to use for a UK 2 pence coin recently and just used it as a normal map. You need to build up several layers of grey as opposed to a line drawing type image for either normal or displacement type stuff though. You can see the greyscale image I made inset.

2 Likes
1 Like

How did you make the bevel in the letters such as 2?

I used Photoshop to make my greyscale image. I had several layers, each for a different greyscale “height”. Once the base value of the 2 for example was filled with a suitable grey, I made a selection of it, switched to the layer above it, shrunk the selection by X pixels and filled the new selection with the lighter grey colour. This was then slighty blurred. Same for pretty much everything else

3 Likes