How to pause a video texture

Hey!

I’m trying to set up an animation with a series of tiles that play mp4 video’s. I’d like to not have them play all at the same time, but rather one by one. How would I go about playing/pausing a video at specific points in time?

I tried changing the ‘start frame’ value but that just changes at which frame of the video file the playback will start, not ‘when’ it will start in my animation.

Thanks!

1 Like

If I understand well, you should be able to do that by changing the “frames” number in your image texture node by “1”

And then you just have to keyframe the “Offset” value to stay 0 while they haven’t started, and keyframe them from 0 to 250 (in your case) when you want them to go. (also, remember to check if the curve is set to linear in the graph editor)

1 Like

Ah I see what you’re doing and it works! It’s not the easiest way to set this up for a larger scene though (I’m thinking > 100 videos) - I wonder if there’s another way to handle this? Drivers, maybe?

1 Like

I think I found my solution using a custom Python function that lets me easily set all the parameters and plays only the required segment:

4 Likes

I almost expected @joseph jumping in like

“Hey Bart, welcome to BA! :partying_face::smile:

5 Likes

cool, I always used a driver setup like this before

but the script solution seems much easier as you don’t have to setup the variables for every object. thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, plus the script solution should make it easier to update everything at once if we have to :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have used multiple image (video) textures/emitter shaders, one for each video, all hooked together through a cascading set of mix shaders that are keyframed as on/off switches.

It’s tedious, but it works. :roll_eyes:

We used to have a dedicated set of buttons for this, but they were phased out for reasons I never understood. ( The montage buttons )

1 Like

I only have WiFi for about an hour a day right now, otherwise I would :wink:

4 Likes