How to retopologize a damaged house

Greetings Artists!

This is Designer Geek. Basically I am working with my friend on a game that requires a destroyed buildings. I started with the first building using booleans, but I have a series problem were the topology is messed up and need some clean up. I thought about manuel retopology, but then I found that it may consume a lot of time, so any tips to have a good topology? Note that I need a good topology in order to add more vertices for vertex paint. Thanks in regards! :blush:

Some screenshots of my damaged building :point_down

:

I would be thankful if you suggested any good free addon to do this job :+1:

1 I donā€™t think it would take long to retopo such a simple shape
2 Is it even necessary? Just triangulate it and itā€™s good to go. Who cares if the topology looks nice? You wonā€™t be animating it

2 Likes

You probably donā€™t even need good topology for what you are trying to do here.

If you intend to do vertex painting, you could probably duplicate the model and then do a voxel remesh on the copy, adjusting it to have dense geometry. you would then do the painting on that remeshed high-res copy, then do a ā€œselected to activeā€ bake to turn the paint into an image texture for the original model you currently have.

Then, you can export the original, non-remeshed model to the game engine with that texture. The model that goes in the game engine doesnā€™t need to have clean topology (it might need triangulation depending on which game engine), unless it will deform, which is probably not the case for a building.

1 Like

Well for vertex painitng

Got it, thanks!

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit lateā€¦ but agree with @etn249 ā€¦the basic house has rectangular geometry and will have some undmaged textureā€¦ with one or more boolean-ed displaced objects you can damage this in different versionsā€¦ even automatically adding a different material for the ā€œcracksā€ā€¦ after that some texture fine tuningā€¦ no retopo neededā€¦ like so:

1 Like