How to rig a dual panel Tablet? (Pic attached)

Hi guys,

I have been trying to rig a dual panel Tablet and wanna animate it opening. The tricky part is that the binding between two panels is something like a rubber. So it is not simply rotating the upper panel using the bottom pivot point.

I am new to rigging. So after tons of watching rigging hands (since there seems no one teaching something like this), I tried using what i learnt and did the following.

But it did not seem to work after I select the object first with the bone and hit Ctrl+P to use the armature.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there a better way?

Thanks!

Could use a bendy bone as the deform bone. Each section is weighted to their corresponding bones with 100% weight.

Easier to set up if the mesh is open to begin with. Rotating the end control bone for the bendy bone could be done with another bone to get the offset, and copying the rotation at the same time.

Sorry for the late reply. I have been swamped up by another project. I tried using what you suggested but didn’t
seem to make it work.

Would you mind having a more detailed explanation?
(Attached is the blend file)

Hey, Here is a link to your fixed file, saved in Blender 2.76
Fixed about 10 things

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16LAA3cgCOuz4g5O3Unx7ow3PUSEz_23v/view?usp=sharing

Thank you! You are truly an angel!

Would you mind telling me what went wrong with my rigging? I saw the “weight paint” had been editted.

Is there a way for me to stick an object (e.g. screw, film protector) on either side and it will stick to the surface even when the laptop is closing? (Is “set parent to vertex(triangle)” the right way?)

Hey, I fixed bone parenting, bone roll, improper / unassigned verts to the correct bones, added a bone (to make hinge more flexible), adjusted the b-bones easing, removed extra armature modifiers and stretch to constraints, added copy rotation constraints - that’s all I can remember off hand.

As far as adding objects, either add them to the mesh object in ‘edit’ mode and assign those verts to the correct ‘vertex group’ or parent those objects to the correct bone (Ctrl P > bone).
“set parent to vertex(triangle)” - you can use that way also.