How to rig leg so that character can walk?

Hi
I am new to the whole rigging thing…I hope you can help and huge thanks in advance :slight_smile: I am trying to make it so my model can walk, I have made legs (which have hip, thigh, shin, foot and toe bones). I can rotate the legs at the hips (the whole leg rotates) and going down towards the toes I can rotate each bone and the lower bones rotate with that (so eg rotating thigh rotates shin, foot and toe, rotating shin rotates foot and toe etc). I can therefore using these rotations swing a leg forward and put the foot on the ground. But that is as far as I can get because I cannot find a way to make it so that I can push off from the toe/foot as one does in walking. Once the foot has been swung out and placed on the ground I want it now to stay put and the leg to rotate around it. Think of how a person walks, the first rotation is around the hip to swing the leg forward and place the foot on the ground, then the second rotation is around the foot… I think my question is how do I create a leg which can have rotation around BOTH the leg and the foot/toes? Eg if I rotate the hip the leg rotates and if I rotate the toes the leg rotates. Further how do I get to toes/foot to stay planted on the ground during this second rotation? I don’t want them to move, I want the leg to move around them. I think there must be an answer to this as it is integral to being able to make any character walk… I hope that makes sense but I am of course happy to answer any questions

You’ll want to watch some tutorials for “IK leg rigging”.

OK, thanks, I will give that a go today.

I recommend this tutorial; very clearly explained and easy to follow / reproduce. In fact I recommend the whole channel.

1 Like

Thank you, I have to go out for the day now but I will definitely check this out! I have been playing around with other tutorials and made some progress but this looks great.