How to Rig Spider Legs Separately from Body

I have this robotic model, almost fully rigged.

I have bones for every part of the body, and I have IK constraint bones on the ends of each leg and the jets on the back. I’m just having issues getting it to where I can move the body, head and jets as one piece while the legs stay still, so I could effectively move the body forward without having to re-position the feet back to where they were before moving the body. Could anyone help me out in accomplishing this?

With IK they shouldn’t be moving at all, so I’m not sure your exact problem. You probably just need to setup parents how you want them and you’ll be good to go. If you post a .blend I can edit it for you.

Transformer.blend (1.25 MB)
Here is the blend file if you want to mess with it.

Ok, so I created a body controller bone. I parented the spines to it. I parented the Body controller to the main controller. I parented the ik target to the main controller. I only did it for one bone, you can figure out the rest by studying it. You shouldn’t use the tip of a bone chain for the IK solver from my experience. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions be sure to post them here.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/7683

Alright, thanks for the tip, I’ll be sure to remember that. I’ll look at the blend you posted to figure out how to re-use that. I’ll re-post back here if I have any more questions or issues. Thanks for the help!

I set up the rest of the rig using your help and I got this pretty smooth looking animation.

Awesome, glad you got it all worked out. Animation looks nice so far as well.