How to rotate/translate origin

Hello, I’m migrating over from XSI, and blender is progressing nicely, but there is one simple feature that I can’t figure out and really need. How do I rotate or translate the origin without moving the geometry? This is an important feature for rigging, unless there is some blender philosophy that I’m overlooking.

Thanks.

Learn to use Shift+S with the 3d-cursorand the center buttons

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4743439902_ec8c5199ff_o.jpg

Ok, but that still doesn’t let me rotate the origin. I guess I did know how to translate the origin by snapping origin to cursor, but there is no rotation.

In Object mode, rotate the entire object until you get the origin to the orientation you need. Then tab into Edit mode and rotate the data around the center to get it where you want it.

AFAIK, there’s no way to rotate an object’s origin while leaving the data objects (bones, verts, etc.) where they are.

Maybe try this: make a mesh and delete everything in this mesh. Now rotate it to the desired rotation.
Now select your mesh and join it into the empty mesh by pressing ctrl+j.

That’s what I was afraid of. I mean, it works, but what a pain.

Endi: your way works too, but again, it’s a bit of a pain.

I thought that maybe playing with the delta rotation in the datablocks would work, but it isn’t doing what I thought it would.

Endi’s suggestion works, and is more direct than mine.

Nice idea, Endi!

A pain?!? It takes, like, twenty seconds.

And if you set your object origin’s orientation before you model it, you’re all set to begin with, so it’s a non-issue.

Yes, it is a pain. Something that could take 2 seconds that takes 20 is a pain. It could be a one step process, but right now it’s five. A pain. I understand that this is a hobby tool for many, but if you’re trying to get work done, those extra seconds add up.

Thanks for the help though.

i think this is a good idea! just google a little and Endi already sugested this feature a long time ago http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107864 but no luck finding any script or patch for it :frowning:

Move 3D cursor somewhere > Shift + Ctrl + Alt + C > Origin to 3D cursor in Blender 2.5. And as Richard said, Shift + S works well with it.

Yes, but that is only for translation, not rotation. I guess that there was/is a script for this somewhere, but I can’t find it and I’m not sure if it will work with 2.5.

Why are you using alpha quality software ‘to get work done’ anyway?

Recipe for disaster if you ask me…which I realize no one did.

Anyhoo, probably could do some python magic to rotate the object, reset the center to the previous point and then counter-rotate all the verts in edit mode by the inverse of the rotation matrix or some such foolishness. Sounds like a pretty easy script to make if you ask me…

Not that I really understand why someone would want to rig up an object with built in rotation/translation aside from what the rig gives it.

Why are you using alpha quality software ‘to get work done’ anyway?

Blender 2.5 is about to roll into Beta anyway according to the Sunday Meeting Minutes.

This excuse holds less and less water as the Beta nears, and he has a right to put down his 2 cents on Blender.

Please don’t post in my thread with a crap attitude. Thanks for ‘trying to help’.

Yeah, and beta still isn’t ‘production ready’ either.

Please don’t post support questions in ‘News & Discussion’ when there are a multitude of support sub-forums that are quite free of my crap attitude.

And, you know, if it’s such a pain it’s easy enough to fix…

Rotating object origins in blender has always been a pain compared to other programs, I think you just have to live with it for a while and learn the workarounds…

Hahaha! This is good. And sad. Yes, this is a hobby tool for many, and they are happy with it. And they hates everybody who use Blender for serious work. And they joking, laughing… and they are many…
:frowning:

I’m only using it for basic modeling at this point, which is very stable, so yes it is production ready for me.

I did post in the wrong forum, but that doesn’t give you the right to be a jerk. And telling someone to write a script to solve their problems isn’t a very good solution. The last thing I have time for right now is to learn python and the blender library.

Anyway, thanks to those who actually tried to help and not troll. I hope the rotating cursor endi suggested gets implemented some day.

Quite telling that the BF has three full time devs (+Ton) on the payroll to ‘use Blender for serious work’ with buggy pre-releases while ‘serious users’ think they can just download a alpha (or beta, Mr. CD) build and it won’t be a ‘pain’ to use.

Of course it’s going to be a pain to use, either fix it yourself, wait until someone else gets around to fixing it, pay someone to fix it for you or STFU.