How to scatter / fade sand onto the floor

How would I achieve this sort of way of fading sand onto the floor:
sand scatter

But at a larger scale as my scene is not close up like the image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

Welcome to Blender Artists!

I only know 3 ways to do this. The first would be to create a custom texture, and the second would be using the new particle nodes. I am not experienced enough in either of these areas to give any solid advice though. The last way you could do this is with a particle system and weight painting. You can find more about this online, but here are the basics:

1. Create the surface that the sand will be on (AKA a plane or something).
  2. Subdivide this as many times as you want (the more the better, but you don’t want to create too many vertices).
  3. Go into weight painting mode and paint out the areas that you want the sand to be (red means it will have the most sand there, blue means there is none)
  4. Assign that as a new vertex group.
  5. Create a hair particle system, with an object as your sand.
  6. Under the Feild Weights category, set the vertex group you made earlier as the density.
  7. Play around with the particle settings and sand material until you get the result you want.
    Tip: you can use a color ramp in the material nodes area on the sand material to create a variety of colors.

I hope this helps you. If you need any clarifications, just let me know! I hope you have a great day!

if your image is not close-up you could even use the image you show as a b&w mask to show and hide a noisy texture

1 Like

Or procedurally:

2 Likes

Hello, thanks for the reply; your solution worked well at a small scale but as soon as I had to upscale it my project became very laggy due to all the particles I needed. Is there any way of improving this?
Thanks again,