Thanks for your suggestion.
But, after looking at the edge flow in the image you posted, I tried another approach… which seems to be better because it allows us to make edge loops to control the sharpness.
Here are the steps:
- let’s say the sides of the triangle are a, b and c.
- select sides a and b and then subdivide once.
- Select the two vertices that were just created and join them: We now have an edge running across the face of the triangle.
- select the new edge and and subdivide once. Also, select edge c and subdivide that once too.
- Then, join the last two vertices we created in step 4 (using the J key) to create the final edge we need.
- We now get faces made up of quads so that the edge loops run around them… and we can use them to control the hardness of the edges.
Posting this here so that a fellow newbie might find it useful.
thanks for your help.